Taurus TCP 380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone got this pistol. I have the Taurus PT709 and it has been great. Just curious about the TCP. I have watched some vids on Youtube and it has lots of positive reviews. From what I have heard, the TCP is the only 380 pisto where the slide stays open after the final round.

I would like to hear feedback from those on the forum that own this one & also having compared it to the LCP, Bodyguard, etc.

Thanks

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one, total pos

Same here. My issue with it was a problem with either the trigger or hammer, the DAO pull would get really light and it'd go off when you least expected it. Had a few failures to feed too. The first mag or two had no issues but on the 3rd mag it'd have issues with and soforth.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one, and I don't like it much either.

Issues: The biggest problem for me has been the clip. I have to be very careful to not touch it at all while firing, which is almost impossible with the very compact size, or the clip will come lose after a shot or two. At this point you have to pop it back in to keep firing. This is an issue with both of the clips I have for the gun. I have figured out how to hold it to keep from touching the mags at all, but that means I only have two fingers to really hold the gun.

I have not had any jamming issues, though I have only put about 100 rounds through it; however, it does have what seems to be an excruciatingly long trigger pull. I know that the long DA is important with the gun having no safety, but mine feels way too long. Again, I have gotten used to it though.

Positives: They are very inexpensive and about as small as you can get.

Conclusion: I purchased the Taurus to be a CCW for my wife. She flat hates the gun, hated to shoot it, and did not want to carry it. She was afraid of having a mag issue or not being able to aim well because of the trigger. We decided to pony up the cash and get her a Sig P238 instead. The Sig is way more expensive, but the quality and features are not comparable to the Taurus. As for myself, I don’t think I would mind carrying the Taurus if I just wanted something small in my front pocket. I don’t think it is a great gun, but I have figured out how to make it serviceable if needed. It is what it is: a tiny, cheap 380. As has been noted on the OSA many times, it is better than a sharp stick.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never owne done, but shot one once. Very accurate for a mouse gun. Can you expect that from all of them, don't know but probably not. Hate to hear about the quality issues. I had hoped they had turned the corner on those.

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never owne done, but shot one once. Very accurate for a mouse gun. Can you expect that from all of them, don't know but probably not. Hate to hear about the quality issues. I had hoped they had turned the corner on those.

Yeah, I am surprised by the quality issues. They seemed good from the videos I watched on Youtube. I like the fact that the slide stays open on the last round, which the Ruger LCP and others don't.

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only put a few hundred round through mine but no real problems. The cheap ammo had a few mishaps but the good stuff ran flawlessly. It does hurt a bit to shoot it much just because it's so small. For what it is I'm happy with the gun...an inexpensive, easy to conceal alternative to the nicer pricey stuff.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one. Had mag problem, but Taurus replaced the mag. If you shoot more than a few rounds at a time, the guns needs to run wet.

Taurus has an early model and a late model, mine is an early model. The mags for the late model will not work in the early model, but I don't remember at what sr. number they changed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom