The OK Panhandle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well we still spend like 13 grand a month for them to inspect the dam, gates, and spillway and ensure it's all functional in case we ever get the river flow levels of 1965 again, LOL. Last time I can find the river even had water was 4+ years ago: https://okcfox.com/news/local/beaver-river-flows-for-first-time-in-decades-near-guymon

OP I will say the panhandle is unique and quite cool, if just to experience it. Check out the grasslands, the mesa, and cross over into New Mexico and check out Capulin Volcano.
The volcano trip is pretty cool. We did the tour.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! Even this sumbitch from CA has been through the panhandle. Several years ago driving out from CA to Tulsa area we decided to take the "scenic" route and got off I-40 at Tucumcari and took 54 up through and to Guymon. Holy geebus, it seemed like it took 37 hours to get from Guymon to Tulsa. THat just seems long as hell. There were some real pretty areas but, wow!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you visited? I remember learning a long time ago that the highest point in OK is there, and I think there's some huge pig farm out in that area. Not sure what else is out there though.

And I just realized that people living in Guymon most likely use Amarillo, TX as their nearest big city... unless Woodward has grown enough to take that spot?
Liberal Kansas is a fairly large city. I have lived and worked there for months. I worked in Hooker, Guymon, Boise City, Buffalo and Keys. Keys Oklahoma is not the end of the world but if you climb a tall windmill you can see it. Boise City is not the metropolis you think it might be. It's about a mile long from the Dairy Queen to the telephone company office and about 1/4 mile wide. The courthouse is the biggest building in the county and sits in the town square. Hooker has a lot of interesting people. Their baseball field is the home of the Horny Toads.
Guymon is a pretty big town and has a huge Radio Shack. I bought items there in February 2020. Eddie's is a great steak house. The pawn shop guy has high prices on his guns. Buffalo has an OTASCO store!

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive through there a couple times a year. The Rita Blanca National Grass Lands are a place to visit. Lots of antelope and some mule deer to see as well as the other mentions. There is also Optima, the lake that never was. The Corps of Engineers built it and it never filled up. Small patch of water in the middle occasionally but the COE still maintains an office there.

People Optima tell me they are 100 miles from water and two feet from hell.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a place right near the panhandle called Slapout OK, population 8 last I heard, theres a small store where you can buy souviner t shirts LOL.. I need to take a day trip or 2 day trip and go...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a trip out thataway about 15 years ago. I remember driving back from the black mesa and not seeing as single car for over an hour.

Are you kidding me?!?!? I wanna move! :cry3:

Right after Grumpy and I got married he asked me if I'd move to Guymon if he transferred out there. I told him to enjoy his next 10 years living out there by himself -- I'd be here when he came back. But to be fair I had JUST closed on my house a couple years earlier and the hell underwriters put you through was still fresh in my mind. Hmmmmm ... Now that I think about it may be I'll just stay here. Lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just think of the schools and their sports schedules. 1 to 5 hour bus trips every time they play away lol. We've gone out there a few times for games, the drive there is better than the drive home and it's not that far for me.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just went out to the Black Mesa area a few weeks ago. It was a stargazing trip. It had been a few years since either one of us had seen an inky black sky filled with stars. We were not disappointed. We loved it. But, we hold quiet, peaceful solitude in very high regard. I think most people would find such a trip a stupid waste of money. Whenever I tell people of taking a trip out into the middle of nowhere they have a confounded look on their face. They can't grasp a reason for doing such a thing.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?!?!? I wanna move! :cry3:

Right after Grumpy and I got married he asked me if I'd move to Guymon if he transferred out there. I told him to enjoy his next 10 years living out there by himself -- I'd be here when he came back. But to be fair I had JUST closed on my house a couple years earlier and the hell underwriters put you through was still fresh in my mind. Hmmmmm ... Now that I think about it may be I'll just stay here. Lol

Property is hella cheap out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom