Thinking about what was normal growing up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of us will be out of our element in the same way that our parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on were. It's the reason I teach my daughter that she needs to be prepared to evaluate situations, opportunities and goals without me, because before too long my ability to be helpful will be moot. I can prepare her for the world that *I* live in, but not the one she will own just like every generation that has and will come.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember hearing my elders talk about how much the world changed since they were kids.

Now I hear myself talking about how much
things have changed since I was a kid.

A question for the board.

How wierd is it going to be 30 years from now?
Remember the opening scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
'bout like that I reckon.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure that in 30 years, if I'm not pushing up daisies, I'll be in a wheelchair with sh*t in my Depends, drinking my dinner with a straw.

I've heard it said that every generation gets a little weaker than the one before. I'm starting to believe that more and more.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure that in 30 years, if I'm not pushing up daisies, I'll be in a wheelchair with sh*t in my Depends, drinking my dinner with a straw.

I've heard it said that every generation gets a little weaker than the one before. I'm starting to believe that more and more.
I mean, back when people only lived until 40 I'm sure the percentage of strength toward the end of life was different.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always considered myself an outsider in society. I spend most of my time on the outside looking in. People forget about things, back in the 80s' we had hand held video games, my favorite was a baseball game, then there was the tamagotchi virtual pet game, Nintendo game boy and now cell phones. There is always a moral panic around be it free love, swinging 70's and disco, satanic panic, video games, doing crime and posting it on the internet. Stuff like that will be just a variation of what has happened before. Ban switchblade then "assault rifles" next plasma rifles. As far as the world goes, who knows. Not many people saw the collapse of USSR and the eastern bloc coming. The Arab Spring was great until it wasn't. Politics has sucked for so long it is a tradition now. I remember the economy in the 70's not great, then the oil boom and bust of the 80's, and the house bubble bursting in the mid to late 00's and now the fallout from coronavirus. They say the more things change the more they stay the same, mostly true I think. As long as the Yellowstone volcano doesn't erupt America should be mostly ok, just not what we want it to be. I hope that we can still have a great military, hopefully. But the world is becoming a society of shut-ins, myself included. The whole "climate change" thing, who the f@ck knows about that. As a whole hopefully technological innovations will make the world overall a better place, if they are allowed by the powers at be. Just my ramblings, thanks for reading.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember hearing my elders talk about how much the world changed since they were kids.

Now I hear myself talking about how much
things have changed since I was a kid.

A question for the board.

How wierd is it going to be 30 years from now?

As a perspective of how things might "seem to be," maybe I should ask your age. If you are 30 years younger than me, I might have some answers.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 30 years, no one will be able to write in cursive, beyond perhaps their signature. Many won’t be able to type well because there will be machines that transcribe the words they think onto the screen for them. Even screens will be obsolete because virtual screens will exist. Digital signatures will be passé, because a widely available scanner will be able to read your DNA from your fingertip and sign documents for you.

That’s just one area of society. Imagine how many others will change?

Latest posts

Top Bottom