Those of you who know Grumpy ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok fellas!! Y'all have no idea how much I appreciate the thoughts, prayers and offers to help out. I am good. Scott's brother and his wife showed up today.

Surprised the **** out of me. It's not like they live down the street -- more like the East Coast. I spoke to them on the phone last night and I guess they caught the first flight out that they could find but didn't tell me they were coming. I came back from running to the house to let the kids in so they could mow for me (and I could pay them) and came back and there they were!! I am SO happy they are here! He has been quite a bit more responsive since he heard his brother's voice.

I am beyond happy because now Scott won't be alone up here ever. One of us will be here with him 24/7 for at least the next week. The nurses have been so helpful. They found me a recliner that is actually quite comfy so I can stay overnight and his brother can cover for me for a couple of hours morning and evening so I can take care of the critters, shower and handle anything else that pops up.

He is resting so much better now. But then again propofol will do that to you. 😉 His pneumonia is still getting worse so they are doing a biopsy this afternoon. May wind up changing his antibiotics. Already took the x-rays but I didn't get a look at them and I don't have yesterday's to compare them to.

His blood sugar is still high. He has blood in his urine again. His heart and lungs are full of fluid. Electrolytes are ****ed (potassium, sodium, magnesium, that sort of thing). Not exactly unexpected. Basically this whole adventure is an extremely difficult balancing act. We get one thing straightened out and another thing or three goes haywire.

The doc says the next 48 hours will tell us a lot about how the rest of his stay will go.

Again I cannot tell you guys what a comfort your kindness has been to me. I am so grateful for the friendship each and every one of you have extended to Scott and me. Thank you all.

Man things have changed a lot in a really short time.

I know I said I was done with this thread when Scott got stepped down out of ICU but felt like you guys deserved a little bit of an update. Not to mention another thank you. I appreciate and love each of you more than I can ever express.

We (excuse me, "I" 🤷🫣) had been pretty adamant that he was not gonna go to short-term rehab and that we were gonna do home health care so I would be able to keep an eye on my lovely husband.

Yeah, about that ... After talking to his doctor, one of the nurses that took care of him upstairs (who was kind enough to come upstairs, find me, take me to the side and have a come-to-Jesus meeting with me) and his case manager it was decided that maybe a short stay at Jim Thorpe might be best for everyone. I'm not gonna lie -- I came home so relieved I didn't even know what to do with myself. I could have done it. I think. I mean I don't back down from a challenge so it never occurred to me that I couldn't do it. Lol (Kinda like climbing out from under a tree! Haha! I mean you just take a deep breath, give yourself a second and get down to it, ya know?? Isn't that what you are supposed to do?)

But anyway thank goodness that nurse saw what I did not and cared enough to risk pissing me off to say something. Because I have caught some kind of stomach thing going around and today is the first time I haven't been in bed or the bathroom floor for a couple of days. Oof, I hope none of y'all catch that ****. It has been BRUTAL -- and I had zofran to treat it with. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll go see him Monday (when my doc said it was okay) and see what's up but apparently they are keeping him busy and he says he is feeling stronger. I think we are shooting for a release date sometime the first week of October.

Thank y'all, one more time. Because a million more times won't be enough. 🥰

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea the first time they released me from the hospital I went straight home. That did not work out so well and a week later I was back in the hospital. Next time I went to rehab and did not go home until I was strong enough to take care of myself.

I should have known better that wifey was not strong enough to take care of me, if just from the number of times I fell at the hospital trying to do things myself. I thought I was ready but I was not.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea the first time they released me from the hospital I went straight home. That did not work out so well and a week later I was back in the hospital. Next time I went to rehab and did not go home until I was strong enough to take care of myself.

I should have known better that wifey was not strong enough to take care of me, if just from the number of times I fell at the hospital trying to do things myself. I thought I was ready but I was not.

Ehhhh ... I was doing a pretty good job of it before he crashed and burned. (He'd been home off work for 2 weeks before he wound up at the ER but neither of us knew it was MG coming on. We thought he'd just caught something.)

The morning I called EMSA, something just felt off. Thank goodness. Because if I HAD helped up and back to bed he would have had that first heart attack at home and not in the ER. I don't even want to contemplate how badly that could have gone.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just asked my wife who is an RN about the condition Scott has. She was familiar with it after having a few patients with it.
It’s an autoimmune disease that with treatment will allow people to live to full life expectancy.
Continued prayers.
I hope so. I just have to be really careful the diseases I get and the antibiotics I can and can't take. I've been on the infusions over a year now so I know what Grumpy is going through. I think he waited too long to get to the ER. That is why he's had such a hard time. I was diagnosed because my eyelids were slamming shut. They got that fixed and warned me my breathing might be affected. Two days later I was almost gasping for breath just sitting down in my chair. Walking to the bathroom I was winded. I went to the ER and told them my diagnosis, my doctor's name and my symptoms. Boom, I was in a room in intensive care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom