Top Shot TV show on The History Channel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think we're talking about different concepts.

Mental toughness i.e. the ability to continue through adversity, varies from athlete to athlete and while I will agree is reduced from years past, is still present in enormous amounts in a number of sports including USPSA, multi-gun, etc.

What I am referring to is the ability to be "present" in a task.

Very few people without a psychology background or without extensive study on the matter have some understanding of what it takes to be "present".

Various societies have names for it i.e. Zen in Asian culture but it's really the same thing: the ability to focus on nothing but the task at hand to the exclusion of all else.

The great Col. Cooper referred to it in personal protection matters and provided what is probably the most easily observed example of it when he described the act of a quarterback making a precision pass when a linebacker is bearing down on him.

The conscious mind recognizes that he will likely be hit, but does him no good in completing his task, so he simply continues to focus on the task of completing the pass rather than focusing on the unimportant things i.e. the liklihood that he will take a rib-shattering hit.

Because a sport like chess requires future computations well in excess of two moves ahead, it requires the player to see the whole board yet focus on the task at hand i.e. the very next move.

This has become so advanced in the chess world that players spend more time trying to get inside the head of their opponent than they do actually moving pieces.

This is what I am referring to, despite the fact that I agree with your premise that society is much less mentally tough today and has become so because we have chosen to reward mediocrity.

Michael Brown

Yes I see we were on different wavelengths a bit. However part of what I was saying fits into your point. The ability to be in the moment and be able to focus on the task at hand while maintaining situational awareness fits.

IMO, perservering through acute adversity requires a quasi patience for making quick decisions apropo or better yet being able to accept and handle the fear of failure. Confidence to me is not only being sure in ones abilities but also knowing how to handle setbacks or failure.

Sorry didnt mean to derail, but the your subject fascinates.

BTW, I like TOP SHOT having unknowns on the show. I would however like to see how the Jarrets, Lathams, & Miculeks etc. talent level of the shooting sports handle the show's format.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, I like TOP SHOT having unknowns on the show. I would however like to see how the Jarrets, Lathams, & Miculeks etc. talent level of the shooting sports handle the show's format.

That would be interesting however I do not think that their sponsors would ever allow them to compete in this type of invironment.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2nd episode this season had a great challenge with the targets moving towards the shooter and dropping at certain distances, I would love to give that a try!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jay was the best pick for the show thus far. He sux but wins and talks **** and people love to hate him. What could be better for the shows ratings?

Jetmaine was ATAS but obviously had never shot under pressure. He looked like a complete idiot in the team challenge and choked in the individual deal. He should have beat Jay like Jay was a golf instructor.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one is the air force cop? The younger dude with the military looking haircut dude or the guy with the tall skinny guy with the scraggly beard and crazy eyes that scares me?

George, the cocky young not-a-sniper guy with dark hair.

The other AF guy, Ashley, seems to be a little more of the quiet professional type. Hope he goes a long way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom