We are about to have a Texting while driving law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm happy it was made a primary offence. I'm sick of Cops/DOT personal getting ran over. I counted 18 people playing with their phone on the way to the office today. A 26 miles drive.
I didn't even count all of the people sitting at the stop lights. I also seen a couple people reading newspaper and books while driving...ffs people.

Yep. The irresponsible driving is out of control. Drivers who are texting, putting on makeup, shaving, reading, dialing on their phones, or a combination of these actions, can be seen everyday. Anybody know the cause behind the vehicle that crossed lanes and hit of a group of motorcyclist a couple of weeks ago? One rider was killed. It would not surprise me in the least to find out the driver was distracted.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ban data streams:

then traffic will be even worse......everybody will be lost because they can't use google maps to find the nearest starbucks!

Nope, I have a complex brain. I'm looking for a complex solution to a complex problem. Are you up for developing a solution? Anyone can come-up with the simple, unworkable, and non-practical solutions.

There is no ..proper solution , as there is already a law that addresses the problem.
The Answer is ......revenue generation, pure and simple.......That cannot be stopped, as long as bills have to be paid.

I suggest...... texting and driving certification. Now there's some money to be made.
Hideing and trying to text from your lap, is not safe.....that's what's being created.

The Local Trooper just smiled on TV and said......"if I see your phone, you're getting a ticket"......prove it, Jackboot

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no ..proper solution , as there is already a law that addresses the problem.
The Answer is ......revenue generation, pure and simple.......That cannot be stopped, as long as bills have to be paid.

I suggest...... texting and driving certification. Now there's some money to be made.
Hideing and trying to text from your lap, is not safe.....that's what's being created.

The Local Trooper just smiled on TV and said......"if I see your phone, you're getting a ticket"......prove it, Jackboot

I don't know. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of vehicles having proximity control and GPS lane control. I definitely would want the ability to disable this kind of control but warnings would be nice. I think this technology is coming in the near future. I've got a friend that has a vehicle that monitors the distance to vehicles or objects ahead when on cruise control. The vehicle will automatically slowdown if you get to close to the vehicle ahead. The vehicle also has a warning light near the mirrors that senses vehicles in the blind spots.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of vehicles having proximity control and GPS lane control. I definitely would want the ability to disable this kind of control but warnings would be nice. I think this technology is coming in the near future. I've got a friend that has a vehicle that monitors the distance to vehicles or objects ahead when on cruise control. The vehicle will automatically slowdown if you get to close to the vehicle ahead. The vehicle also has a warning light near the mirrors that senses vehicles in the blind spots.

I enjoy reading your opinions on this subject, but I must admit, you scare me. :)

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texting while driving is one of those things you can do without infringing on anyone else's rights or aggressing against anyone in any way. This means a flat prohibition on it is overbroad... and if the government makes enough overbroad threats of force, it can significantly reduce the overall liberty in a society (take a look around you).

Now I'm not even taking such a limited view of defensive force as to say that "my right to swing my arm ends at your nose," or that people should only be threatened for engaging in conduct that actually causes damage to someone's body or property... I think the old English magistrates pretty much got it right 1000 years or so ago when they made "reasonable fear of imminent harm" the standard for defensive force. You don't have to wait until the other guy's fist (or bullet, or car) hits you before you are justified in taking action to stop him, when it becomes readily apparent what is about to happen. But where the wigged old farts got it wrong is only applying that rule to individuals, and not to groups of people calling themselves "governments" and claiming mastery over other men. Certainly no group of people has any more rights than any individual among them.

Laws like this one on texting and driving give the State the power to threaten and use force against people under circumstances where no individual would be justified in using force himself, because some of the prohibited conduct can be done without putting anyone in reasonable fear of imminent harm. That is the issue I take with it. Narrow it's application to situations where there was actual harm or someone had to take evasive action to avoid it, and I wouldn't have such a problem with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom