Weird Sleep Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys. I generally make it a practice to not post stuff related to religion, politics or my own personal health. But for the last week I’ve experienced something that is pretty wild and pretty damn scary. There is a sleep phenomenon known as sleep paralysis where you wake up and can’t move for a few minutes. This generally resolves itself in a few minutes. I have experienced something similar three times in the last week. The only difference is that it has taken me up to twelve hours to get full body function back. I wake up and can’t move anything except my head for about 2 hours. Then I slowly am able to move my arms and legs but they’re all wobbly for several more hours. Has taken about 12 hours before I can slowly get up and around. I’m 76 years old with a really bad back and severe rhuematoid arthritis. I take a fair amount of pain medicine. I also have some pretty low kidney function so the cause of the problem is most likely related to the bad kidneys and the pain meds. My reason for relating my health problems here is to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this. From what I’ve read, it is fairly common the experience short periods of sleep paralysis, but it generally resolves itself in a pretty short period of time. Not 10-12 hours. I might add that it affects my speech too. Can’t talk well enough to get a point across. I can sympathize with any stroke victim.

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something similar has happened to my Mom recently but like you said it was resolved in less than an hour(assuming she told us honestly how long she was unable to move or talk). First thought was stroke but dr ruled that out. I'll ask my wife and if remember will post back what she said.

@okcBob ??

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please let us know what the doctor says. That has to be terrifying.

If that was me, with a bladder the size of an almond and a prostate the size of a cantaloupe, I would be in some embarrassing positions trying to get out of bed and not being able to do so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom