What are you reading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you liked "Kilkenny," Louis L'Amour had two other books with Kilkenny as the main character. I'd have to do some research to discover again what those two were. I used to have about all of his books, but they got damaged when water leaked into the plastic tub where I had them stored.

EDIT: Just went to L'Amour's website. The other two are "The Mountain Valley War" and "The Rider of Lost Creek." There are also some short story collections that featured Kilkenny as a character.
Thanks Terry! They're on order now. Discovered I have a real like for L'Amour's style and characters. He was a pretty prolific writer too.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plain Speaking, An Oral Biography of Harry S Truman
The author interviewed Give 'Em Hell Harry in the early 1960s and put excerpts from the interview sessions in book form.
I believe Truman didn't want the content of the interviews released until after his death.
SPOILER ALERT: So far, Truman never met a Republican he could stand with the possible exception of Herbert Hoover; Truman felt sorry for him in later life.
Truman did not have a high opinion of some fellow Democrats either, especially the Kennedys.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Terry! They're on order now. Discovered I have a real like for L'Amour's style and characters. He was a pretty prolific writer too.

He was an excellent author. I always liked it that he researched an area before he wrote about it. I don't remember the name of the book, but he wrote once of a fight in NE New Mexico in something like a box canyon. While in the box canyon, the good guy of the book experienced a lack of oxygen or something and made his way to the top of the rim of the canyon. Then someone in the canyon spotted him and fired a rifle at him. The muzzle blast of the rifle ignited the pocket of gas that was in the floor of the canyon.

I've been in some of those NE New Mexico box canyons.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So at the moment I am reading 4 books depending on the mood-Modern gunsmithing, Dictionary of clocks and watches, Tank Vs Tank and some fiction fantasy novel, name not worth mentioning cause it is a real snoozer but it does help me shut down for sleep!! It is really bad LOL. But if I read something interesting at bedtime it will turn into an all nighter and I am too old for that nonsense. :cool:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care for fiction for the most part although read some occasionally. Some of the fiction authors are pretty good though.
Prefer first person experience reading in action type books, be it military or crime.
Currently reading My Secret Life as a CIA Assassin by Roland W. Haas which is a biography.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really poured over trapper, mountain men and Oregon trail books last several years. About halfway through this stack right now.

Attachments

• 4925E572-7182-43EC-A372-F1BFDED70600.jpeg
    4925E572-7182-43EC-A372-F1BFDED70600.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 19

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was an excellent author. I always liked it that he researched an area before he wrote about it. I don't remember the name of the book, but he wrote once of a fight in NE New Mexico in something like a box canyon. While in the box canyon, the good guy of the book experienced a lack of oxygen or something and made his way to the top of the rim of the canyon. Then someone in the canyon spotted him and fired a rifle at him. The muzzle blast of the rifle ignited the pocket of gas that was in the floor of the canyon.

I've been in some of those NE New Mexico box canyons.
My mom started working as a waitress in 1959, and spent most of her life at it. In the 70's she told about one of her customers who spent his vacations riding the trails L'Amour described in his books. He said the streams, springs, and watering holes L'Amour described really were there. In the bio in later books L'Amour made the claim that if he said there was a spring, it was there, and the water was good to drink. I have always wanted to visit the locations in his Haunted Mesa. :)

Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom