what are you using for coyotes (gun)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just kinda curious. Has anybody tried the .17HMR on coyotes? It would definitely be a 50 yard maximum proposition, but I think one of those little lead pills punching through the ribcage of a yote would be pretty deadly. I just don't know what would happen if it hit a rib.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how the .17HMR will work on a coyote sized critter. This is a pic of a squash, shot at 20 yds. the bullet disintegrated into dust. I have heard they are making a 20 grain now that is more solidly constructed for varmint hunting. Havn't seen any of them in the stores yet, but other have in the bigger cities.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00630.jpg

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just kinda curious. Has anybody tried the .17HMR on coyotes? It would definitely be a 50 yard maximum proposition, but I think one of those little lead pills punching through the ribcage of a yote would be pretty deadly. I just don't know what would happen if it hit a rib.

They are too small in my opinion.Actually I wouldn't recommend any rimfire.They just don't have enough to consistantly kill a coyote.

Scott

Reaction score
Don't hunt them very much, but I plan to, since they're getting out of hand. Guess I have at least 4 suitable guns for yotes:

--Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA, 22", .223 Rem, with Sightron S2 4.5-14x42mm AO

--Remington/Baikal spartan, O/U combo gun in 12 ga over and .223 rem under; see-through rings with iron sights for the 12 ga and a 1.65-5x36mm Nikon Omega for the .223.

--Stag/M1S/Shaw 26" AR, .204 Ruger, but I've never shot this one and I'm trying to sell it (anyone want to buy it?). I've been told it's superbly accurate but just don't want to get involved in yet another caliber.

-T/C Icon Original Medium Action, 24", .243 Win, w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm

During deer season OR with hogs in the area, I'd take the last one (.243).

During fall turkey, when NOT deer season, I'd take the Baikal 12 ga / .223 combo. Or, I'd also take this gun during spring turkey (but without any .223 ammo on me - or would it be legal to have .223 on you for yotes during spring turkey season?)

Othewise, it'd be whatever struck my mood. If I thought that I'd be calling them in, in such a way that they'd appear around the corner of some trees right in front of me, then the Baikal could be handy, for a quick unloading of some buckshot (#1, 2, 3, or 4) from the 12 ga.

[Yeah, IMO, .22 hornet or .218 bee are yote minimums, for good ethics.]

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't hunt them very much, but I plan to, since they're getting out of hand. Guess I have at least 4 suitable guns for yotes:

--Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA, 22", .223 Rem, with Sightron S2 4.5-14x42mm AO

--Remington/Baikal spartan, O/U combo gun in 12 ga over and .223 rem under; see-through rings with iron sights for the 12 ga and a 1.65-5x36mm Nikon Omega for the .223.

--Stag/M1S/Shaw 26" AR, .204 Ruger, but I've never shot this one and I'm trying to sell it (anyone want to buy it?). I've been told it's superbly accurate but just don't want to get involved in yet another caliber.

-T/C Icon Original Medium Action, 24", .243 Win, w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm

During deer season OR with hogs in the area, I'd take the last one (.243).

During fall turkey, when NOT deer season, I'd take the Baikal 12 ga / .223 combo. Or, I'd also take this gun during spring turkey (but without any .223 ammo on me - or would it be legal to have .223 on you for yotes during spring turkey season?)

Othewise, it'd be whatever struck my mood. If I thought that I'd be calling them in, in such a way that they'd appear around the corner of some trees right in front of me, then the Baikal could be handy, for a quick unloading of some buckshot (#1, 2, 3, or 4) from the 12 ga.

[Yeah, IMO, .22 hornet or .218 bee are yote minimums, for good ethics.]
You ought to have them covered. Good luck.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two 'yote and varmint rifles, one is a savage in .204 ruger and the other is a stevens in 223. BIG scope on the .204 and a 4X12X50 on the 223. Both leave them DRT... Blitzfike

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason I asked about the HMR is I was tossing between a bolt action HMR, and one of those little Rossi youth model .223 break-open single shots that Academy sells. Think I'll go with the Rossi. When you buy the steel-cased bulk hollow-points, they're only about $5 per 50 higher than the HMR's, and will do anything I need them to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom