What to use for ground on new range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a dozer guy building me a range on my land. Not sure what I want to put down on the ground. Ideas?
seed, gravel, dirt, ?

IMG_7548.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the rocks are all gone, I'd just put some grass seed down to run a mower over when you need. It will also hold the dirt when it rains. Since you've built in 3 sides, I'd make sure it slants to the open end to not make a pond. If you put gravel down, drop in a couple of french drains, if you want to go that far.
Looks nice. How about some info on distance height and so on.
Congrats. Dozier guy did a bang up job

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He isn't done yet. Right now the fall is pretty steep for drainage. He is coming back with a laser to guide him to bring it down more. One of my main concerns I told him was I wanted it to drain out and not pond up. The berm you see is about 20' so far and behind that is another huge hill with about 20 acres of dense trees.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He isn't done yet. Right now the fall is pretty steep for drainage. He is coming back with a laser to guide him to bring it down more. One of my main concerns I told him was I wanted it to drain out and not pond up. The berm you see is about 20' so far and behind that is another huge hill with about 20 acres of dense trees.
It looks great. Keep posting the pictures as you move forward. I posted a pic of the range my buddy just built this year I'll post them here again.
Hard to see but the range berms at 100, 200 and 300 yards. He had this cover and storage built to keep his stuff in.
Can't see it well, but he's got a solid wood shooting bench/table that is hidden from all the stuff we brought to shoot.
Steves range stands at 100 200 and 300 yards.JPG
Steve at steves place.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom