What to use for ground on new range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without a lot of heavy traffic (think high volume/truck-stop parking lot), grass will grow in gravel in a year or two anyway. I wouldn't waste the effort/expense for light foot traffic.

^^This.

From experience with our gravel driveway, it would be easier to seed it and mow it than to deal with the spots of weeds/grass that come up through gravel.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put gravel on mine. I wish it had been crushd gravel but my uncle said that gravel from a stream would be best. Experience has told me that crushed was the way I should have gone.

Anyway, here's a picture of mine from the July 29th ENS.

img_3997-jpg.104377

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looked at your range and it inspired me. Gave up on redoing mine but I know a place where a small rise could be pushed out to have a 3 sided berm. D6 on property and even though I'm no dozer artist, I think I could pull this off in that spot.
No big trees or stumps and lots of sand in the soil. Has a larger hill behind it.
Might play with it this winter and see if I can keep from screwing it up.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a dozer guy building me a range on my land. Not sure what I want to put down on the ground. Ideas?
seed, gravel, dirt, ?

View attachment 104621

Well, it is very cool! I'd just go with a low maintenance grass and maybe, if you want to spend just a tiny bit more, concrete walks at 7, 10, 15...

Or just grass and a guesstimate. But whatever you decide, it is going to great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom