What Would You Do If Shot At While Driving?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a crazy scenario and there are too many variables to calculate the “ideal” response. The best you can do is have a survival mindset and work hard to maintain a high level of awareness.

There aren’t many times where one small part of my work experience comes into play, but this is one of them. I spent a chunk of time working on a full time 7 man protective service detail (PSD). On that job I got to work every day with four retired USSS agents who had worked POTUS and FLOTUS teams.

Of my many assignments on the team, one of my primaries was driver. Lessons learned there still inform my driving today. So my philosophy is if I’m driving, I’m not shooting. That 4,500 pound projectile is my primary weapon if a weapon is needed. I can escape, evade or attack, depending on what the threat calls for. With the vehicle I have a bit more control over what it impacts. There are no brakes or steering wheels on a bullet.

Pull up beside me and point a gun? I’m going to put my side mirror right up in your face, hard. A quartering attack from behind and to the side and I’ll stab the brakes as hard as I can, then turn in and accelerate on your rear quarter. From the rear, hammer the brakes as hard as possible, then accelerate hard while maneuvering to evade. Whatever you do, don’t let them get in front of you and box you into a hard stop.

If I can’t drive anymore, then I can switch to the gun.

There is a caveat to the above though. Automotive technology is leaps and bounds beyond what it was when I did PSD work. Automotive engineers have developed driving nannies that may prevent you from using your car offensively. Most of these electronic nannies are only partially defeatable, if they’re even defeatable at all. So if you try to ram or pit an attacker, you might find yourself fighting your own steering and brakes. If your airbag deploys, you’re most likely be disabled on the spot.

Most of the time these days a mobile attack would be from a road rage driver. Do what you can to drive defensively and if someone gets fixated on you, do whatever you can to break contact and get as far away from them as possible.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a crazy scenario and there are too many variables to calculate the “ideal” response. The best you can do is have a survival mindset and work hard to maintain a high level of awareness.

There aren’t many times where one small part of my work experience comes into play, but this is one of them. I spent a chunk of time working on a full time 7 man protective service detail (PSD). On that job I got to work every day with four retired USSS agents who had worked POTUS and FLOTUS teams.

Of my many assignments on the team, one of my primaries was driver. Lessons learned there still inform my driving today. So my philosophy is if I’m driving, I’m not shooting. That 4,500 pound projectile is my primary weapon if a weapon is needed. I can escape, evade or attack, depending on what the threat calls for. With the vehicle I have a bit more control over what it impacts. There are no brakes or steering wheels on a bullet.

Pull up beside me and point a gun? I’m going to put my side mirror right up in your face, hard. A quartering attack from behind and to the side and I’ll stab the brakes as hard as I can, then turn in and accelerate on your rear quarter. From the rear, hammer the brakes as hard as possible, then accelerate hard while maneuvering to evade. Whatever you do, don’t let them get in front of you and box you into a hard stop.

If I can’t drive anymore, then I can switch to the gun.

There is a caveat to the above though. Automotive technology is leaps and bounds beyond what it was when I did PSD work. Automotive engineers have developed driving nannies that may prevent you from using your car offensively. Most of these electronic nannies are only partially defeatable, if they’re even defeatable at all. So if you try to ram or pit an attacker, you might find yourself fighting your own steering and brakes. If your airbag deploys, you’re most likely be disabled on the spot.

Most of the time these days a mobile attack would be from a road rage driver. Do what you can to drive defensively and if someone gets fixated on you, do whatever you can to break contact and get as far away from them as possible.
Good Stuff. Thank you for sharing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Van I built from a $400 purchase from Arrow Wrecker service auction Behind the chrome bumper is Thick 3" channel iron.
Front and rear bumpers are bolted and welded to the frame.
I do not carry a gun when I go places and I do not have a cell phone and if I was driving this ultra reliable vehicle at the time of gun fire I will destroy the vehicle.

Most of the time I did not run the 32 x12.5 x 15 tires.

Wife liked driving it as opposed to her small car because people would part the red sea on the highway or city streets when it was approaching.
Red neck van that looks like the dude does not carry insurance.

all of them from long ago 009.JPG

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't worry so much about being shot at on the highway, my bigger concern is being in the wrong place at the wrong time......having my vehicle surrounded by a mob of protesters like we have all seen. I'm really not a fan of running down a bunch of people with my vehicle so I now carry ( as accessible as my firearm ) a can of bear spray. Hopefully laying down a fog of that will 'part the way' for an escape......without having to kill someone with my vehicle or firearm.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we are not to shoot out of a moving car and I have often thought with all the shootings on the highways these days, what would I do if someone drove up beside nme and started to shoot? I have a choice and I think if it were safe, I'd slam on the brakes and they'd pass me momentarily at least. Otherwise, I'd have to shoot back to discourage them but in so doing I might his another vehicle or it's occupants. What is the wisest choice? I'm getting ready for a cross-country trip.
As long as we are a nation ruled by laws, not men, my advise would be to put distance between you and the shooter, and call the police! If you shoot back, that act puts the law against you as well! If society continues to break down, and the law can no longer protect us, and we are forced to defend ourselves, break out the heavy stuff!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't worry so much about being shot at on the highway, my bigger concern is being in the wrong place at the wrong time......having my vehicle surrounded by a mob of protesters like we have all seen. I'm really not a fan of running down a bunch of people with my vehicle so I now carry ( as accessible as my firearm ) a can of bear spray. Hopefully laying down a fog of that will 'part the way' for an escape......without having to kill someone with my vehicle or firearm.
This very thing happened in Tulsa during the George Floyd RIOTS! The rioters blocked I-244! A guy pulling a horse trailer that had his wife, and young kids in the truck, was stopped on I-244, by a mob of mostly black punks. They were beating on and damaging his truck, threatening his family, scaring his horses, throwing material that was on fire into the horse trailer, that could have easily injured themselves in the trailer if they panicked! He drove very slowly through this mob, careful not to injure anyone, went up the road to where the police had the road blocked, and stopped. they told him to meet them somewhere else, because the mob was catching up to them. One MORON RIOTER fell, or was pushed by the other rioters, backward off an overpass, and seriously injured. The lap dog news media including the local news media, tried to make this sound like it was this mans FAULT? I'm sure he as lawsuits filed against him, over this, and as I have leared from personal experence, no matter how frivious the law suit is, you still have to hire lawyers,and pay them, to fight it! They were trying to break his truck windows, so he layed a pistol on the dash, to warn them to stop that! I'm suprized the lap dog news media didn't make a big deal out of that!

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY!
It is against the law to shoot at or from a moving vehicle in Oklahoma. Law was passed in the 1990s because of the rising drive-by gang shootings. It might be difficult to justify returning fire when you had the option of evading. If you had anyone else in the car with you, you are responsible for whatever might happen to them.
Get the tag and call the police. Be able to describe vehicle and shooter(s).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is against the law to shoot at or from a moving vehicle in Oklahoma. Law was passed in the 1990s because of the rising drive-by gang shootings. It might be difficult to justify returning fire when you had the option of evading. If you had anyone else in the car with you, you are responsible for whatever might happen to them.
Get the tag and call the police. Be able to describe vehicle and shooter(s).
Which Oklahoma statute is that specifically?

Latest posts

Top Bottom