What's with people shooting ARs indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, not that this may apply, but it is a theoretical scenario.

Let's say someone buys a AR for home protection, knowing that they'd have more rounds with a 30 round mag in the event of a multiple-intruder home invasion event. At 25 yards, it might pay to "cook-off" 30 rounds fairly quickly to see how effective/ineffective one's shooting is with that rifle at that distance. Now, unless the individual "testing" his abilities has rented 3 lanes so that he can shoot at different targets, as a home invasion might see happen, I'd guess he was limited to firing all his rounds at one.

Besides, it's the other guy's bullets, not anyone else's.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funnier for me and my Buddies to just laugh at them.

Laugh at them for what? Minding their own business? Paying the same rent for the lane as you do? Shooting faster than what gives you butt hurt? Being inferior in some form or fashion than you? There's always someone who can shoot better than you too.

You sound like the same guy that laughs at others from a distance so you won't be seen, because you and your buddies giggling like little girls somehow gives you a macho warm fuzzy.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how this got everyone riled up! I never said it was too loud...that percussion (and subsequent rapid fire) are what let me now it is someone with an AR going all 'Rambo' at a little indoor range.

I just wondered why so many people like doing mag dumps in a small indoor range with a rifle....seemed like a big waste of time and ammo without much interest. I've never complained to anyone or made remarks to them - just didn't get it..and I still don't, it seems useless when there are outdoor areas that allow distance, you know, since it's a RIFLE.

I'd think the same thing if I saw someone with their deer rifle at a little indoor range, too.

Maybe he likes mag dumps? You're very judgmental.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the beowulf to H&H one day. the kid at the counter put me on a lane with all the pistol shooters. I pretty much stopped everyone else shooting with my first shot. I felt bad but that is where the kid told me to go.

You are saying he put you on one of the lanes in the big bay directly north of the check in counter?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how this got everyone riled up! I never said it was too loud...that percussion (and subsequent rapid fire) are what let me now it is someone with an AR going all 'Rambo' at a little indoor range.

I just wondered why so many people like doing mag dumps in a small indoor range with a rifle....seemed like a big waste of time and ammo without much interest. I've never complained to anyone or made remarks to them - just didn't get it..and I still don't, it seems useless when there are outdoor areas that allow distance, you know, since it's a RIFLE.

I'd think the same thing if I saw someone with their deer rifle at a little indoor range, too.

cdn.gifbay.com_2013_09_my_dog_and_i_doing_focused_backpedaling_87951.gif

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy next to us at the H&H Sauna was shooting an AR and a Ruger Gunsite .308. I noticed his guns were louder than my son-in-laws .380, but it wasn't bothersome. Are there better places to shoot long guns? Of course. But at least he was shooting.
Heck, I've taken my Buff Classic .45-70 to Heartland with BP loads. After everyone asks "What the hell was that?", then they want to shoot it. Never had any snobs ask me to quit 'cause it was bothering them. Even the range officer waited in line for his turn.

Seriously, Heartland was how can I say this, sounds were muffled more because they had the rubber mats all the way down the range, and that made a big difference indoors. And if you or anyone at were either Heartland or H&H, range "officers" were not supposed to shoot customer's weapons. I know I worked both in my days.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swear some people here and their attitudes are the equivalent to pretentious hipsters when it comes to their judging, know-it-all attitudes regarding firearms. Who cares if they shoot an AR at an indoor range? There's carbine classes that will have you do mag dumps even at 10 or 15 yards. Does it matter if they're a bunch of kids or even "clueless" adults who don't have any training or know any better and doing mag dumps at 25 yards? I guess it's good to be smug at the range laughing at "posers" who paid money to enjoy their time at the range. Hell, I bet if those same people showed up at Banner road, you'd complain about how the range was sooo much better before it got popular and everyone else started showing up. Loosen up those tight jeans and ditch the horned rimmed glasses already...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...and for anyone that doesn't already know it - practicing rifle fundamentals at 25 yards is very effective. Try this: measure out an exact one inch square on a sheet of paper. Color it in, so you have a nice 1" target.
Now post it at 25 yards or meters, and put ten shots into it, without using a rest or a bipod.

It's only 25 yards, and that square is 4 moa at that distance, so it should be no problem....

Latest posts

Top Bottom