Which Lower Would You Choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were going to build a .308 caliber AR over a length of time what brand of lower would you start with? I really want one to round out the collection but buying one outright isn't in the budget at the moment. I don't have much experience with "AR-10" platform rifles so I need the opinions and expertise of you all. Thanks

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only advice I would offer is to make sure you get a DPMS patterned rifled. After that, I think it comes down to choice. I have a DPMS lower. A shop here in Tulsa had some CMMG 308 lowers for $270. That was a steal if you asked me. To me, the lower is the least important item on my list. As long as it is from a reputable manufacturer, what is roll marked on the side doesn't matter.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you know that there are 3 different mag patterns ( FAL, DPMS, and armalite). ASP785 is absolutely right. Almost all lowers (ar-15's anyway) are made by like 3 manufacters, with other companies names just roll marked on the side. Find the mag pattern you want ( I would suggest the DPMS, mags are more prevelant, and magpul makes them), and get the cheapest one. Don't get caught up in name brands.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This site lists some options: http://308ar.com/lowers.htm

Personally, I found it cheaper to just buy a base DPMS Oracle 308 for $999, and install the barrel, handguards, and stock I want, and sell the factory take-offs or keep them as replacements. Parts cost a lot more for the .308 stuff than they do for the AR-15. You can't save money building from parts with the .308 like you can with the poodle shooter.

The only issue I have with the lower on the DPMS is that it has a straight trigger guard that is built into the lower, and can't be changed out for a winter guard or anything.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I knew the lowers are all pretty much the same other than mag pattern, which is what I was wondering. So the DPMS pattern lowers are the best, how do you know which are DPMS pattern, will it be part of the specs of the lower? Like it will say "uses DPMS mags"?

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from Oil Capital shooting a friends new DPMS Recon 308,very nice rifle.I looked into building a 308, but I might just buy one like his instead.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not in the market for a semi-auto .308 and would not attempt building one. Instead I would save what little money I could until I could afford a larue OBR, but I am more of a precision shooter than a plinker. If you are unable to save money without spending, hence buying parts as you save then I would go Mega Arms MATEN build. Again, I am not much of a plinker outside my .22lr and 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom