Why can't you all just go the speed limit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 1 mph is speed....... tell me you never go over 1+ MPH everyday..... :)

I never go over 1+ mph on anyday. Seriously, I just don't see the point. I have owned race teams/cars, done numerous different fields of racing, and never felt the need to endanger others around me, or spend my time in a courtroom.

It's all free will I guess, but if you see a white Tundra in front of you know that I am going to at least try to put speeders in the back of it.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to speed... a lot... Hollis to Erick was a routine 25 minute trip in a GMC Safari... Just over an hour total Hollis to Cordell... Even caught up with an ambulance once...

I got really lucky once. I got pulled over close to 2AM by a Trooper west of Cordell. I was pulling over before he even hit the lights. He asked me the usual where I was headed and where I was coming from. I answered honestly, got a lecture about how I was only saving "6 minutes" off my trip, and was told to be on my way. I almost blew it and said "more like 40 minutes", but luckily the filter between my brain and my mouth caught it.

Funnily enough, all my friends are surprised that I have zero tickets and zero wrecks. I used to drive fast all the time, even down roads that I shouldn't have. But that "training" has come in handy before in accident avoidance.

Generally, I drive slightly above the flow of traffic. But if you ride with me, you'll find that even inside the city I can tell you where cars are around me 99% of the time. Why? Because I pay attention. The gauge cluster has idiot lights, so I don't need to look at the cluster to know if something might be up. I look as far down the road as I can, which is generally where the road disappears. And I always have an "out". If someone comes up behind me and I'm in the passing lane, I speed up to match their speed and then immediately get over. There's no reason they should be on my rear, and brakes scare people behind them. I also rarely use my brakes on the highway. If I want to slow down, I turn the cruise off on the steering wheel, not with the brake pedal.

I learned how to drive on the computer playing NASCAR '98 with a steering wheel and pedals. What it taught me was that brakes are bad, and throttle-steering is a great feature to have. I perfected that doing stupid crap on gravel and dirt roads and on snow and ice. And it's why I prefer RWD over FWD. I had myself so trained to "punch it" when in a skid that the first time I skidded the Dodge Intrepid I had, I made the problem worse by correcting the steering and putting the hammer down. So I went out to some wide gravel roads with shallow ditches to "play" and learn the dynamics of FWD.

But now, I drive fairly conservatively.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I speed is to get away from the guy with the flashy lights behind me trying to ask me where I'm headed. :P

Actually, I learned 25yrs ago that following the speed limit meant no tickets. So far, it's working great! :D

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a transplanted Californian I am used to driving with nuts on the road. I learned defensive driving from a cop father. As far as me speeding goes,it all depends on which of my vehicles that I'm driving.

I'm usually always in my Blazer S-10 4x4 and I'm usually always doin the speed limit or near to it as it only gets about 17mpg. Plus with duals coming out of the 4.3l thru the cats out thru extra long glass packs to extensions its kind of loud and I'm a target. I bought it new in 88' to tool around on the mountain back home in northern California. ( Right now its ready for some snow to play around in).

If get my Supra out for a drive around here or am driving back and forth home to California then I admit that I'm usually always speeding even when I'm trying not to. It's hard trying to drive that car at the speed limit- it wants to run fast. And I sometimes get a ticket in it. No matter what state I'm driving in they usually follow me around every where I go when driving it. Been that way ever since I brought it home new when still in Cali full time in 98'. The best place though to go a little fast is between West Wendover,NV,past Bonneville, and just a little bit past the lake outside Salt Lake City on I-80. I open it up and really let err rip out there. I've never seen a cop out there in 20 years of driving that lonely stretch of highway. There used to be a few stretches of highway in Nevada that had no speed limits on them because they were so far out and desolate, but from what I've read lately the Feds threatened to pull some of their highway funds if they didnt post speed limits on them so they had to. You can still speed on em because they dont patrol em,you just have to make sure other drivers arent on the road so youre not endangering anyone else.

When I'm driving the wifes car,which I rarely drive because I'm not fond of sedans but she refuses to ride in my Blazer or Supra and she doesnt like to drive on long trips,I almost never speed. Mostly because she's usually with me and she's an amateur drivers training instructor and has to always be telling me "Youre going 10 over and youre gonna get another ticket,blahblahblah,etcetc",so I just give in and drive the speed limit and she shuts up. Then when she falls asleep I bring it up to speed a little. Until she wakes up anyways.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it's people like you that I hate ;) And people like you that were spoken of before that don't give a rats booty about other people's safety.

You hate me?? Pretty strong and ignorant words there buddy, you don't even know me but ok, you're cool.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not my fault, my right foot is very heavy.

I also don't ***** about it when I get pulled over.

Pretty much my opinion.
Put a big old grin on my face, hand the officer my CCW, and license, and go with the flow.

BTW only been pulled over twice in about the last 30 years.:selfangel Don't ask me about the years before that.:lookaroun

Wanna get pissy, you pay the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom