Will you ever vote Republican Again or At All?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve voted Republican in every Presidential election except one. I think I missed one or two while overseas and didn’t get my absentee ballot in too.

I’ll absolutely vote Republican again if I like the candidate.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like many above, I'll likely still vote Republican, and that is largely because since JFK, there has not been a Democratic Party president that shared my social and economic philosophies. As for voting for a third party, in all my years of voting, I've always felt that if I vote for the 3rd party candidate, that candidate will ALWAYS have a steep hill to climb to win and any vote for them will be a vote for the Democrats.

As for me, I've been voting ever since I legally could. The only presidential election that I didn't vote in was in 2016 because of our traveling and not having established residency in time in Oregon to vote.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe our definition of conservatism is about to change at the national level, and we're going to have to vote for the "most conservative" candidate, which may not be "conservative" at all as we have known it.

Our two party system certainly makes it hard find one candidate that works for all flavors of conservative, too. There is a large number of folks who wish the Rs would worry about being the party of financial conservatism again and not focus so much on the social side. There are those (evangelicals and the like) who know that anyone right will be better for their views than almost anyone left of center, even if that person doesn't personally embody the evangelical ideals.

I'm sure there are a lot of republican incumbents who are hoping that their 'stand' right now will give them credibility with conservative voters next time around. Just as i'm sure there will be republican incumbents who hope that they can spin their 'support of the constitution' as speaking to their conservative bonafides, too.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Our two party system certainly makes it hard find one candidate that works for all flavors of conservative, too. There is a large number of folks who wish the Rs would worry about being the party of financial conservatism again and not focus so much on the social side. There are those (evangelicals and the like) who know that anyone right will be better for their views than almost anyone left of center, even if that person doesn't personally embody the evangelical ideals.

I'm sure there are a lot of republican incumbents who are hoping that their 'stand' right now will give them credibility with conservative voters next time around. Just as i'm sure there will be republican incumbents who hope that they can spin their 'support of the constitution' as speaking to their conservative bonafides, too.

There's so much of a pissing match going on up there right now, I wish we could have a congressional reset button and vote on 535 new ones.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That concept can have two sides.
Those that are elected in perpetuity like Mitch McConnel or our own Inhofe hold important positions in DC can direct money and support to things like Tinker AFB or fight to shut bases/businesses down by offering incentives.
It's a dirty job they do, but their every waking moment in politics is, how am I going to get reelected and how much can I do to my constituents to make that happen.
We benefit in some ways but create a swamp in the process.
What do we do now?

How about an incumbent having to amass a super majority in the primaries of, let's say something like 60% to 66%, after they have served 6 years as a representative or 12 years as a senator? That way, the people will have the opportunity to retain someone who is really good, but still have those serving subject to term limits.

Woody

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe our definition of conservatism is about to change at the national level, and we're going to have to vote for the "most conservative" candidate, which may not be "conservative" at all as we have known it.

About to change?

Trump, Romney and McCain were far from Conservatives.

Bchance

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this debate many times. Trump has had good policies from the republican stand point and has done pretty much what he said he would do when he first running his campaign. Like him or hate him, the people voted for what he said he would do and he did it.
His mouth and ego will forever be his issue.

I had a client tell me that if Trump would have simply kept his mouth shut, stayed off of Twitter, and spoke with humility, he would probably go down as the most accomplished republican president we have ever had. Not the most liked but the most accomplished.

I tend to agree with that comment; however, Trump being Trump led to his demise on obtaining a second term. I agree that voting practices put into place in many states were not lawful, so as to the argument about state legislatures deciding on voting laws instead of the Governors who pushed things through. If Trump would have acted differently in a few areas, I don't think the voting would have been close enough to have to worry about the votes the other way.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom