Wish I had a shop so I could build one of these…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built something similar years ago using 1/4” steel plates and 2” pipe for the heat exchanger.
It was only a single level fireplace vs the double level you posted.
The problem with using the thick steel is that it took over an hour for the fire wood to generate coals with the heat finally getting through the steel to heat the shop.
Once it got going it was a beast of a heater though.
The double barrel stove I currently use has thin steel a radiates the heat quickly.
It gets hot enough you can’t stand within 5’ of it.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I built something similar years ago using 1/4” steel plates and 2” pipe for the heat exchanger.
It was only a single level fireplace vs the double level you posted.
The problem with using the thick steel is that it took over an hour for the fire wood to generate coals with the heat finally getting through the steel to heat the shop.
Once it got going it was a beast of a heater though.
The double barrel stove I currently use has thin steel a radiates the heat quickly.
It gets hot enough you can’t stand within 5’ of it.

I helped build one like the above but used 55 gallon drums. For the heat exchanger we used 2-3/8 tubing. It works really well.

The one in the video is a beast of a stove though. I never thought about the thicker metal being an issue.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a large heater in my shop years ago. At the time I lived in Alabama and I only needed heat for about three months out of the year so I quickly downsized. I made a small heater that I could Birnamwood in and then when it warmed up I can disassemble it and stand in the corner of the shop

Latest posts

Top Bottom