Yeti/Pelican/RTIC/etc Coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy just bought a RTIC. Looks just like a Yeti. He said Yeti's patent ran out, so now you're seeing the new variants of that design.

Not true. Yeti filed a patent infringement, trade dress infringement and unfair competition suit in Texas against RTIC. YETI Coolers, LLC v. RTIC Coolers, LLC, Case No. 15-CV-00597

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some research when I was trying to talk myself into a Yeti, and settled on a Coleman Extreme. The articles I read online had comparisons that, although flawed in their 'science,' showed that the Extreme is almost as good as the Yeti at keeping ice solid. I also only use mine for beer and food on weekends, so a Yeti (or similar) isn't necessary. Igloo also makes one hell of an ice chest. I bought a small roller one, Marine series I think, that I used on a cross country drive. I topped it off in Co Springs with ice, cool (not cold) beer and Red Bull, and didn't add ice until I made it to Seattle. I stopped in Jackson, WY; Gardiner, MT; Spokane, WA, and finally Seattle, WA. Temps outside were in the high 50s and 60s, temps in my hotel were comfortable. I added beer and red bull during the trip, but it was all cold. The cooler was mostly water upon reaching Seattle in the evening, and I had a few cubes left after waking up the last day.

So, it kept enough ice to keep beer very cold for 5 days. I added one bag on the morning of day 2 and had very cold water the morning of day 5. The cooler was kept in my truck and hotel.

I used a rolling Coleman Extreme for a trip to FL. I had to add a bag and drain water every other day, but that kept it full of ice. It was out in the FL summer sun during the day and in our hotel at night. We were in it all the time and refilled its contents often.

The Igloo was big enough to hold 2 bags of ice. It's really small. The Coleman is sold at Dicks and other places and looks almost like a cube. It has wheels and a handle. The Igloo was about $25 and the Coleman was $40'ish. I haven't done my own tests, but for 'civilized camping,' they're hard to beat for the price.

If you dont have a Yeti can koozie, you're missing out. They'll keep a beer cold...seriously cold...for an hour, easily. The tumblers are also great.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some research when I was trying to talk myself into a Yeti, and settled on a Coleman Extreme. The articles I read online had comparisons that, although flawed in their 'science,' showed that the Extreme is almost as good as the Yeti at keeping ice solid. I also only use mine for beer and food on weekends, so a Yeti (or similar) isn't necessary. Igloo also makes one hell of an ice chest. I bought a small roller one, Marine series I think, that I used on a cross country drive. I topped it off in Co Springs with ice, cool (not cold) beer and Red Bull, and didn't add ice until I made it to Seattle. I stopped in Jackson, WY; Gardiner, MT; Spokane, WA, and finally Seattle, WA. Temps outside were in the high 50s and 60s, temps in my hotel were comfortable. I added beer and red bull during the trip, but it was all cold. The cooler was mostly water upon reaching Seattle in the evening, and I had a few cubes left after waking up the last day. So, it kept enough ice to keep beer very cold for 5 days. I added one bag on the morning of day 2 and had very cold water the morning of day 5. The cooler was kept in my truck and hotel. I used a rolling Coleman Extreme for a trip to FL. I had to add a bag and drain water every other day, but that kept it full of ice. It was out in the FL summer sun during the day and in our hotel at night. We were in it all the time and refilled its contents often. The Igloo was big enough to hold 2 bags of ice. It's really small. The Coleman is sold at Dicks and other places and looks almost like a cube. It has wheels and a handle. The Igloo was about $25 and the Coleman was $40'ish. I haven't done my own tests, but for 'civilized camping,' they're hard to beat for the price. If you dont have a Yeti can koozie, you're missing out. They'll keep a beer cold...seriously cold...for an hour, easily. The tumblers are also great.

Yep. Like my Coleman Extreme just fine.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pelicans are built like a tank and are about as heavy as one. One thing that did put them apart was the lifetime warranty. Got some dry ice, wrapped them in some newspaper and used them as a spare freezer for drink over thanksgiving. The dry ice froze the drinks after a few hours, and actually stayed cold for 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom