Yukon Men

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
God, I love that show. Real people having to survive the old fashioned way.
You catch, kill, trap your food or you die.

I could do this. I can't convince my wife though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How they weathered the cold is incredible. Trapping beavers, wet clothes, snow...............tough characters, talking about 100 years ago of course.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, its a little easier now with 4 wheelers and boats, but even now, they go out and clear traplines during the summer to be used with sled dogs in the winter, hunt fall game for meat and skins and so on.
Every day has to be looked at as one more to be prepared for the winter.

We have it really easy compared to these folks.
I probably should have not had this show on when the wife was around though. She has been watching some of the "other" Alaska shows about the "cute cabins".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go elk hunting every year in the Rockies. I spend some time by myself up there in Gods country in the upper elevations. I know for a fact that I'm one of those people that could be totally happy with a pine tree shelter, living from the land.
Actually have done this in years past. Went through the US Army survival school taking that training into real use, and have taken my kids in the past into the mountains and shown them how to get water in a high country desert, and survive, not thrive. There is a difference.
I'm sure they have forgot it by now. They said it was the worst vacation they ever had. Boiling water to drink and getting baths in 50 degree water didn't fit into their urban lifelstyles. Oh well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom