10/22 Recoil Buffers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy in the pics used a fine Arkansas stone and spent hours. I used a fine Cratex wheel on a Dremel and it went faster. The first one I did I was worried about taking off too much and I did it three times before I got it right.

I had access to some small punches that could cut shims with for the side to side slop in the action and after getting frustrated getting the shims to stay in place while I reassembled the trigger group I gave up on the shims.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are the only mods I have made to three of the 10/22s in my house. A fourth one has a buffer and no trigger work, but it does have a Hogue over molded stock. That stock has the factory barrel contour in a youth LOP.

If the stock on my 10/22 rifle wasn't a step up from the carbine stocks I would buy a Hogue stock for it too.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy in the pics used a fine Arkansas stone and spent hours. I used a fine Cratex wheel on a Dremel and it went faster. The first one I did I was worried about taking off too much and I did it three times before I got it right.

I had access to some small punches that could cut shims with for the side to side slop in the action and after getting frustrated getting the shims to stay in place while I reassembled the trigger group I gave up on the shims.

I've got some coffee stirrers that I'll cut to length, assemble on pre-cut stirrers, stick in the trigger housing, line it up with holes, use the pin to push through, pushing the coffee stirrer out at the same time. Made 10-22 trigger work reassembly as quick as taking apart.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was using some swab handles like that too, but I had a hard time getting the shims in place. Some of the trigger part you can buy have shims with them to take out side to side movement of the parts. I made some shims my self. I am happy with the smoother quieter action that I made for myself.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went ahead and put the sear/hammer to stone today. I admit I went a little bit too far, 1.75lbs, but I can't for the life of me get it to misfire... Slammed it around, cranked on the trigger w/safety on, popping safety back and forth, hitting the receiver with a rubber mallet... Sear still holding like a boss. Doing a full test fire tomorrow at Heartland to make sure I haven't created a burst weapon lmao.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you get full auto from the one you stoned?

Yep... lmao. I've done that trigger job a few times, guess I let it go a little too far this time searching for the perfect trigger. I fixed it though, then decided to peen a little on the sear to tighten it up to the safety... Frickin thing shattered on the anvil. Called Ruger to order a replacement, was told due to high build volumes and current demand, they wouldn't be able to get it to me at this time. WTF... So I just ordered my fifth Kidd trigger, but I went on the cheap and just ordered the hammer/sear instead of the whole group this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom