Advice On An Economically Friendly 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a value priced starter 1911 that is still high quality, then RIA or American Classic are you two options. Both are made in the Philippines, and for the money they just can't be beat. They are both pretty comparable, you'll find folks who like each one better than the other. You'll spend between $350-500 on one and it will serve you well.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, say 500-800 then I recommend you take look at a STI Spartans, Magnum Research DE 1911s, A SIG 1911, S&W, or and Springfield.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only RIA I have had in for repair was because of a drop, the slide took a hit and was binding. The metal is not quite up to par with American steel but still a lot better than the pre WWII guns.

They are not the most friendly guns to be customized. Most "drop in parts" will have to be fit but a little work with a grinder and file will make them work if you don't want to pay a gunsmith, but then they were not made to be customized they were made to be shot just they way they come so get the options you want when you buy the gun.

I think that is the only reason they don't have much of a resale value like the big name guns but in all fairness they are an affordable 1911.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear everyone mentioning options with the 1911, what type of options could they possibly have?

And sorry for the rudimentary questions but my knowledge of 1911s is zero?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear everyone mentioning options with the 1911, what type of options could they possibly have?
And sorry for the rudimentary questions but my knowledge of 1911s is zero?

Extremely customizable. The 1911's trigger pull can be fined tuned to just about any set up you'd want. The mainspring housing can be upgraded. Most internal parts like the strut can be upgraded to tougher and lighter materials if needed. Tons of options on the sights The actually trigger and hammer can be upgraded to a skeletonized design. Match grade barrels and sears can be put in. 1000s of grip options, and customized beavertails. Different options on safeties. Basically you have tons of options on pretty much every component that make up the 1911.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a heads up among all the advice, when you buy a lower end 1911 do yourself a favor and buy quality mags like Wilson, Chip McCormick, or Tripp, it will save you a ton of problems as nearly all stock mags are hit and miss at best. Warning, this won't be cheap. YOU must also decide what options feel good in your hand, nobody else here can tell you. STI Spartan is a good way to go or Springer Mil-spec. RIAs are decent but generally don't handle higher round counts as well as more expensive platforms. The Norinco in the classifieds is the best 1911 you can buy for the money in that price range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom