Aerial speeding patrols in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak to the marker you mention and showed, but in some other states, they put markings on highways to "calibrate or certify" equipment that is surveying their road and pavement conditions.

Years ago, there were some states that simply had a white line (roughly 8 inches wide) across the paved shoulder. (Texas comes to mind.) It could have been for aircraft to use to get a driver's speed. If I remember right, there would be something like 6 marks in a mile, which would allow an observer in a plane to "verify" a previously observed speed. However, those markings weren't on each and every mile, so I don't see how effective they would be. A pilot would have to keep circling to see those lines and that would be a give-away to wary drivers.
Multiple incidents of people running into the back of stopped or slowed traffic on interstate in the last few years. You might be correct, the drivers must be gazing into the skies searching for an aircraft.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got pulled over with one in early 2007 right around the weigh station on 35 at Davisish. The trooper made it a point to point out the OHP painted prop plane circling us.
Second of three times I was given a warning going exactly 87 in a 70. I slowed down after that.

Try to drive 80 these days on I35, you get run over, is 90 or faster now.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I can't speak to the marker you mention and showed, but in some other states, they put markings on highways to "calibrate or certify" equipment that is surveying their road and pavement conditions.

Years ago, there were some states that simply had a white line (roughly 8 inches wide) across the paved shoulder. (Texas comes to mind.) It could have been for aircraft to use to get a driver's speed. If I remember right, there would be something like 6 marks in a mile, which would allow an observer in a plane to "verify" a previously observed speed. However, those markings weren't on each and every mile, so I don't see how effective they would be. A pilot would have to keep circling to see those lines and that would be a give-away to wary drivers.

I think Highway 412/3 still has those. They used to have pilots sometimes clocking cars in Beaver County by Elmwood.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every single time OHP has caught me they've been sitting off the side of the road, behind an overpass. :faint:Couple of times it's been guys I knew from the Capitol area. Gave us a chance to catch up ... :fallangel I just wish they wouldn't call Grumpy and tell him how fast I was going.:oops3:

You know you like OHP to catch you. The handcuffs are your favorite part! :hey3:

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I’ve ever heard… We have a good family friend who is a Trooper, we were visiting one time and aerial clocking came up. He was telling me about a trap they had, the airplane was clocking, ground crews stopping. Said he stopped a guy, dude said he couldn’t have got him speeding, because he had 2 radar detectors. Trooper said they got him by plane, guy said no I have that covered too. The guy pointed at his dash, said the guy had one detector facing forward, and one beside it pointing straight up. He said he was laughing so hard, he told the guy that he’d tried so hard, he’d let him go just this once. He and I have laughed about that for several years now.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never seen them or maybe I just do not speed when I drive ..
Nope that ain't it I never seen them.
I really don’t worry about tickets anymore. I realized several years ago, that speeding, running lights, and othe moving violations, do nothing except use more fuel, and extra wear and tear on my vehicles. I guess you can say I speed, I set my cruise at 2 mph over the limit. I only do that to say I’m still rebellious. I haven’t gotten any citations in over 25 years, could just be really lucky, I mean I’m no saint LOL. If nothing else it saves on insurance to not get tickets. It will actually shock me if I ever do get pulled over, it’s been so long I can’t remember what it’s like.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SpeedEnforcement1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom