Andy Richter, and the extinction of high-cap mags.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think the Colorado shooting was bad? Anders Berhing Breivik's got him topped a couple times over and Norways gun laws are much stricter than ours, what happened there? Gun control only works for criminals.

This is a huge point that should be repeated often.

Banning AR15s has zero solvency because of situations like Breivik
Banning hicap mags has zero solvency because of Breivik

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, being in this crowd this is nothing short of dogma, but I challenge the idea that easy access to weapons precipitate violence, and that the shooter could have built a bomb instead of bringing his firearms.

The problem is evil, not convenience. That's really what we should focus on in society. If our aim is to mitigate evil, then banning high capacity magazines is a weak provisional measure.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, when are we going to stop blaming this on the gun culture, from what I understand, he got this idea from watching a movie. When do we start pointing our fingers at Hollywood?

Just to recap, a copy & paste I wrote on another thread on this topic:

Kids frequently play violent video games - whether on specific devices or online, they watch movies out of Hollywood that depict graphic violence, murder, war, etc. They listen to music that glorifies killing other people - typically with guns, using women as throw away sex objects, and generally filled with violence and profanity. They do this all through their teen years, and become desensitized to the blood, violence, and lack of human decency. Then when some prick decides to go gonzo and act out, our brain-dead society feels the need to ban the tools he used, and not the training. But just try and tell people that we need to ban violent video games and highly restrict or eliminate violent motion pictures and music, and listen to the uproar about how those things "don't cause people to act that way".

Neither do firearms.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this it was a good thing the shooter had a 100 round mag. They are not known to be reliable. Many more could have been slaughtered if he would had a chest full of 30 or 20 rounders. Smart guy but not smart enough to be trained up. My continued prayers for all those harmed and those that responded.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Despite what millions and even many on this board believe, high capacity magazines go along with the second ammendment. The second is not for hunting or sporting purposes. Will we ever go up against the governmet in a civil war because our rights are being stripped, maybe a .5 percent chance, but I believe just the possibility is what keeps the government in check.

....snipped

THIS THIS THIS THIS! X infinite!

It's just downright depressing to see how many people don't know that this is the exact reason the framers gave us the 2nd Amendment. Lets put the 2A in context. What arms were available at the time the 2A was adopted? That's right the SAME EXACT arms that were available to the militia. And yet the framers thought it imperative to let us have it. They gave us all kinds of methods to keep the government in check. The 2A was the "insurance policy" in case all those failed. My head want's to explode when I see all the talking heads and politicians on the Sunday morning talk shows imply hunting has anything to do with the 2A. Either they just can't bring themselves to accept this fact or they are just too plain chicken**** to say it.

I'd almost like to re-write the 2A so that a kindergartner could understand it, but there is no way in hell I think people today would get it right. If that were to happen we'd only be left with flintlock dueling pistols if even that.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never. Americans don't assume that words can be harmful. Because the 1st Amendment is inviolate, but the 2nd Amendment is subject to "reasonable restrictions". We could take this discussion of large capacity magazines and turn it to several other issues, such as gun buster signs being ineffective, societal pressures being too great, "mental health" being dirty words that barely get any lip service, etc. Unfortunately, those things are abstract. An "assault rifle" with a hundred round drum magazine is a solid physical object they can direct their wrath at. :(

I have been following this discussion and mostly agree with GTG but remember that even Free Speech isn't completely without limits such as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater (though the phrasing sounds oddly inappropriate right now), slander (hard to prove but not impossible), etc. Many people own guns but most do not and the "most" may feel disconnected from losing or infringing on a right they don't exercise anyway. Similarly, freedom of religion means very little to a larger sector of our society than ever before and we can see a corresponding erosion of that right in many subtle ways. My point was that GTG (and others here) got it right in saying that we (gun owners/2A Supporters) have to explain and make a case beyond "it's my right" circular reasoning. We must continue to reinforce to everyone why anyone's right to keep and bear arms is important.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, being in this crowd this is nothing short of dogma, but I challenge the idea that easy access to weapons precipitate violence, and that the shooter could have built a bomb instead of bringing his firearms.

The problem is evil, not convenience. That's really what we should focus on in society. If our aim is to mitigate evil, then banning high capacity magazines is a weak provisional measure.

wow, I agree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom