Barrel length and accuracy question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mostly shoot rifles but I do shoot my ccw every time I go to the range. I have a .40xd subcompact, so it has a 3" barrel. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what the accuracy difference would between this and say the full size version with a 5" barrel. For example, if someone were to fire both weapons from a fixed rest with the same ammo at the same distances, would there be much differences in accuracy at 7 yards, 10 yards, out to 25 yards?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The difference is pistol mechanical accuracy is much more effected by barrel/slide/frame fit than barrel length, along with chamber tolerances and muzzle crown. If all these things were equal, the accuracy difference out of a mechanical rest would be statistically insignificant when comparing a 3" to a 5". Practically, the 5" will edge out the 3" based on sight radius alone.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The difference is pistol mechanical accuracy is much more effected by barrel/slide/frame fit than barrel length, along with chamber tolerances and muzzle crown. If all these things were equal, the accuracy difference out of a mechanical rest would be statistically insignificant when comparing a 3" to a 5". Practically, the 5" will edge out the 3" based on sight radius alone.

There would also be some difference in muzzle velocity between the two, with all things being the same above, maybe 50fps difference.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot my xd 3" and 4" and both are very accurate. on the range i cannot tell much diff. i have shot the 4" in IDPA and not the 3" so i can't say for sure there would be a diff in actual shooting but i just feel the 4" longer sight radius would make for a better score in IDPA.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot my XD and then shot a full size pistol at some small metal plates and did a lot better at longer range with the full size pistol. However, I thought it maybe had something to do with the barrel length but sight radius makes sense to me. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Top Bottom