BBQ coon anyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In gravy over biscuits you dont even know what it is. I didnt until I got older and my dad had me stir the big pot. I still ate it but it was different after I knew what it was.

Gravy with them!! That brings another memory! My grandma would make grandpa gravy with them brains and make us grand kids gravy with sausage or hamburger "**** on the shingles" it was called. And she would set grandpas special gravy by him and loudly tell us that bowl was grandpas and don't let him trick you into trying it!!!! Haaaa!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My duty when Grandma was alive was to get her two to three tree rats a year.

She did the brain thing. Never tried it.
I probably would today though. Not as picky as I was back then.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bleech on the coon. Tried it several times. Same with possum. Bobcat wasn't too bad. Coyote won't ever happen...ever. Beaver was good but not worth skinning. Squirrel brains....not my thing, I'll take half a dozen hind legs tho.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a childhood friend that eats possum. He says it's good but I'm not eating any dead possum until the big fall and there is nothing left to eat.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nastiest thing I have ever ate from the wild would be a toss up between a Crow,Blue Jay, Robin and a Pack Rat. Growing up we would cook just about everything we could get our hands on out in the woods. Never have had a taste for Duck and Birds, other than Quail. But everything else we have cooked has not been to bad, but those birds and rat were some nasty tasting, even with salt, pepper and seasoning.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago one of the lab techs at the paper mill BBQ'd a coon whole and brought it to work. The environmental engineer tried and commented it couldn't be coon, it was too good. Another lab tech pointed at the carcass and said, "Well, if it ain't a coon the only other thing it could be is poodle."
I've never tried it but would if the opportunity presented.
A friend traps and says bobcat is the best wild game he's ever eaten. I knew up north Mt Lions are considered fine eating, but never heard about bobcat till he told me. I'd give it a try too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago one of the lab techs at the paper mill BBQ'd a coon whole and brought it to work. The environmental engineer tried and commented it couldn't be coon, it was too good. Another lab tech pointed at the carcass and said, "Well, if it ain't a coon the only other thing it could be is poodle."
I've never tried it but would if the opportunity presented.
A friend traps and says bobcat is the best wild game he's ever eaten. I knew up north Mt Lions are considered fine eating, but never heard about bobcat till he told me. I'd give it a try too.

I've heard that mountain lion is really good.

The Ok predators forum has a recipe for bobcat.

Crow hunters.com has recipies for crow.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The nastiest thing I have ever ate from the wild would be a toss up between a Crow,Blue Jay, Robin and a Pack Rat. Growing up we would cook just about everything we could get our hands on out in the woods. Never have had a taste for Duck and Birds, other than Quail. But everything else we have cooked has not been to bad, but those birds and rat were some nasty tasting, even with salt, pepper and seasoning.

Woodpe c k er ain't too bad but I was a dumb kid n just kinda roasted it over the fire. And ur right about crow. Nasty.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pheasant is pretty good(since we have gone from crawlers to flyers). Although I used to make fun of an old co-worker from CA all the time for his hunting tactics. Going to farms where they disorient the bird and then plant them in fields for paying customers.....Tethered Birds we used to call them. He never heard the end of it, but it was all in good fun, and I would never turn down a dinner invite after one of his hunts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom