Bridge collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I stated in my post, THE NEW STANDARD is 16'-9" Any bridge thats 80 years old (as this one likely is) would have been a lower height standard. Why? Look how loads have changed over the years. Old bridges used to all be 24' wide (some were 20') but you wont find one built in the last 30 years less than 32' and most are 40' wide. (2-12' lanes, 2-8' shoulders min.)
The bridge I'm currently working on is 24' wide for 2 lanes...built in the 70s I believe. I'm not arguing with you, just trying to help clarify.
No TR4 on this bridge so probably 70s or earlier and not designed for that impact. And for everyone criticizing OK's bridges, there has been amazing improvement by ODOT regarding structurally insufficient bridges in the past years given assigned funding.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bridge I'm currently working on is 24' wide for 2 lanes...built in the 70s I believe. I'm not arguing with you, just trying to help clarify.
No TR4 on this bridge so probably 70s or earlier and not designed for that impact. And for everyone criticizing OK's bridges, there has been amazing improvement by ODOT regarding structurally insufficient bridges in the past years given assigned funding.
Yep that bridge would be over 40 years old. I said anything built in the last 30 years is wider. That a number I just tossed out there based on my tenure at Odot being almost 30 years and we have not built a 24' bridge durring that time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are we sure it wasn't Syrian Refugee terrorists.?
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160519_d197ceb352b234ee1f6f312cc78a3be0.jpg

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That bridge gets smacked fairly often... I can remember at least three other times. Last time it was closed for months due to the damage. Guy that hit it last time won in court, road had been resurfaced but signage wasn't changed..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the first time that bridge has been hit. That road has been resurfaced several times too. I wonder if they corrected the signs when they did the resurfacing?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a lot of truckers that would like to see odot fix that 12' 9" underpass in Ponca. There's a semi stuck under there every couple of months even though there are huge lighted signs 1/4 mile before the underpass and one right on it. Typically there isn't even any skid marks.
I due time. Money is the obstacle

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That bridge has been in major disrepair for years. And trying to get onto May off of the Expressway is more dangerous than being locked in a cage with wild tigers.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the first time that bridge has been hit. That road has been resurfaced several times too. I wonder if they corrected the signs when they did the resurfacing?

If they rotomilled the old asphalt roadbed before resurfacing it probably didn't raise the height of the road at all. But we should defer our comments and judgements to the resident expert.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I due time. Money is the obstacle

I doubt it will ever happen. Its business 60, but it turns before the underpass a half block away. A rail road occupies the top of the underpass so it can't be raised, and Phillips Oil occupies both sides of the road going into it. I guess anything is possible. The truckers would sure like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom