Conflicted.... Card #22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I fall on the opposite side to most of you on this one. At first, I think you need a dictator. One guy/gal to make decisions and get things done...Assign jobs, pass down punishment and dole out rewards. This is quick and efficient. Obviously, this guy needs to be completely altruistic. Dictatorships are a very clean and effective form of government when you have a good one who puts his people first. The historical problem is they always pass the reign down to their offspring who tend to be self-centered disasters.

Later, hopefully a brief time, I think you move to a representative type system or at least have a council.

Would you be acceptable to being judged and punished by a leader? Say you fell asleep on watch but nothing happened, would you take a public spanking or a day in stocks?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a 3 person minimum council would be the place to start. Any group will have natural leaders and followers.
Where my biggest concern arises is when punishment or a split in the group comes.
What may have been minor offenses before SHTF, now are major; theft. Anything worthy of banishment is a capital offense. Banished, alone and vulnerable is a sure fire way for enemies to obtain all the Intel the need to wipe you out. It basicly becomes gang mentality, once your in your in for life.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you be acceptable to being judged and punished by a leader? Say you fell asleep on watch but nothing happened, would you take a public spanking or a day in stocks?

One must suffer the consequences of their actions. When my mom busted my tail for whatever she never held a tribunal it was pretty much a dictatorship. If the head master is doing is job fairly with compassion and the best interest of the group as his central goal then yea I take my punishment and don't fall asleep on guard duty. Now, if dude is out of control then I take my punishment and use that time to plot the next step. I would expect no less of the leader than of myself. Again, if you have a single leader he/she must be close to perfect and willing to move towards other systems as needed. His survival depends on the group. There can be no ivory towers or special treatment beyond the buck stopping at his feet.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will always be instances in which one person needs to make a decision without conferring with council, but there should always be a council to ensure the right decisions are being made. There is a military chain of command for good reason. When lives are on the line, questioning authority or taking the time to come to a consensus can and often will result in a negative outcome.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When forming a survival group, what structure of organization is best? Having one leader with people under that person at various levels of having the entire group share leadership and responsibilities? Why?

When forming the group, I think that most people involved will be relatively like minded or they wouldn't be looking to form a group.
But they may also be all strong willed personalities also

For most general day-to-day decisions, I think a council would work.
For decisions that need some form of punishment, I think a board works best. No pun intended
For tactical and defense issues before something happens, a council works.
For tactical and defense issues while something is happening, I think that the military chain of command works best.

If I'm in the group, I believe that I should be in charge of everything and responsible for nothing.
Oh, wait, then people might start calling me Barry.

Dave

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One must suffer the consequences of their actions. When my mom busted my tail for whatever she never held a tribunal it was pretty much a dictatorship. If the head master is doing is job fairly with compassion and the best interest of the group as his central goal then yea I take my punishment and don't fall asleep on guard duty. Now, if dude is out of control then I take my punishment and use that time to plot the next step. I would expect no less of the leader than of myself. Again, if you have a single leader he/she must be close to perfect and willing to move towards other systems as needed. His survival depends on the group. There can be no ivory towers or special treatment beyond the buck stopping at his feet.

We just have a difference of opinion I guess. Id listen to a group and go along for most part. But im a lil too old n cranky for punishment.....givin or receivin. A bullet solves alot of problems.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How bout this. Suppose it was your wife, would you let someone else spank her or punish her?

I just cant imagine a dictator/single leader doleing out punishment to BB or Subprep and somecallmemom would prolly kill the hell outa a fella before someone spanked her kid.

I just cant see a altruistic "leader" leading, rather I see them as forming a general consensus thing and trusting the judgment of others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How bout this. Suppose it was your wife, would you let someone else spank her or punish her?

I just cant imagine a dictator/single leader doleing out punishment to BB or Subprep and somecallmemom would prolly kill the hell outa a fella before someone spanked her kid.

I just cant see a altruistic "leader" leading, rather I see them as forming a general consensus thing and trusting the judgment of others.

I don't know... if my son broke the rules and needed to learn a lesson, I might go along. If it were a capital punishment for a minor crime/screwup, I'd surely have some other thoughts on it. But if he falls asleep on watch and gets sentenced to a day in the stocks or a caning or something... well... there are consequences to your actions. Now, granted, my son is 9 (today!), so I'm not talking about it for today, but say he was a mid-teen or late-teen, then he needs to know about being part of a group, about sharing responsibility and benefits, and about being accountable as a man.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they are good leader they will take the opinions of others into the process of decision making. Typically even if there is a group of decision makers there is usually one person who dominates the process and pushes their agenda forward. The group concept just makes it seem more acceptable. I'm just cutting out the extra BS to have one person. It's not like a group would want to just pick some random person. It needs to be some one well respected and trusted. It doesn't matter the type of government it is no more tasteful for a council to hand out lashes to ones wife than a single dictator.

As far as beating women and children, I don't think there is room for this in any civilized society. There are some crimes (murder, rape, treason) that should have the same punishment regardless of genitalia. Most errors/crimes in my opinion need to have the option of different punishment. I don't want little Billy to think it is okay to beat women and children thus, I don't think the "state" should condone it either. But, little Billy needs to understand consequences. Extra latrine duty would suck too. I would rather takes some licks than spend 3 days with regular + extra duty.

Note: I have no problem with parents spanking their children. I have spanked my own and never had a regret. A couple quick swats the back of a 2 year olds legs tends to work great when they are very out of line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom