Couldn’t resist. 1965 F100 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ugh. I'll never understand it. The 4BT would be cool, but nothing makes an interesting Ford project uninteresting to me more is by sticking an LS in it. Too many cool Ford engines.
Not really if you compares apples to apples. Inexpensive, great power, tons of aftermarket. LS wins every time.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really if you compares apples to apples. Inexpensive, great power, tons of aftermarket. LS wins every time.
But not in a Ford. Newer post here about someone getting a Road Runner project, but no mention of stuffing an LS in that…..why not? Is it only Fords that need to be defiled with those damned things?

The LS is a great engine, but since people feel like putting it in everything, they’ve become boring as plain toast.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Love a good driver and I built a 1956 Belair for myself with what I had laying around the yard.
Chevy Luv fuel tank and radiator and 1980 Ford 200" six from a mustang with the C4 that was behind it and took the Mustang drive shaft and Belair shaft and made one myself.

21 MPG.
I should have kept it.
Build it the way you want.
I love the inline 6 engines and often thought of a 280Z engine into my 47 dodge truck would be nice.
But those transmissions kept breaking on me in my Z cars and no way would they live in a truck I owned.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Love a good driver and I built a 1956 Belair for myself with what I had laying around the yard.
Chevy Luv fuel tank and radiator and 1980 Ford 200" six from a mustang with the C4 that was behind it and took the Mustang drive shaft and Belair shaft and made one myself.

21 MPG.
I should have kept it.
Build it the way you want.
I love the inline 6 engines and often thought of a 280Z engine into my 47 dodge truck would be nice.
But those transmissions kept breaking on me in my Z cars and no way would they live in a truck I owned.
Growing up in the 80s my dad had a Datsun wagon with the big six in it. Thing ran pretty strong.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want torque, (and hate gas mileage) drop in a 400M w/ 4 barrel carb. I once had a 79 F250 extended cab with an 8 ft bed, and it could spin the tires on dry pavement without a second thought. Of course, you could also watch the gas gauge drop when you had all 4 barrels open....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OMG @Catt57 I drove 2 different Ford trucks with that 400M.
A friends dually 3/4 ton with granny 4 speed and launched it in Granny shift to first at 15 MPH.
Outrun IROC camaros back in the late 80's. But i could shift that Granny pretty quick.

That was a 2 barrel 400 as the 4 barrel version was very rare and I never even seen one.
The other was my neighbors 1/2 ton that weighed less than 3500 lbs.
My mother-in-law bought it from him.
Stupid quick with a 2 barrel.
I ended up rebuilding that C6 with my FIL his first time to rebuild a transmission and my first C6
and it had a front and what looked like a rear pump.

Stayed together for many years and she ended up selling it.
I have some 351M heads and a 302 and thought one day i may use them :)

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want torque, (and hate gas mileage) drop in a 400M w/ 4 barrel carb. I once had a 79 F250 extended cab with an 8 ft bed, and it could spin the tires on dry pavement without a second thought. Of course, you could also watch the gas gauge drop when you had all 4 barrels open....

400M is very underrated and definitely does not get the respect it deserves. Was looking very hard at a Donzi 22 ft boat at one time, had twin 400M's. Wikedly fast for a speedboat. As for those that say the LS has a better aftermarket than a 302 / 351 Windsor, Ford FE or the Coyote I really don't think they looked too hard.

Why the LS or a Chevy? From what I understand they may be easier to install because of geometry, the position of the oil pan makes it a bit easier. Personally from what I have seen I don't think they are more or less reliable than Mopars or Fords, or going back a bit Pontiac, Buick or Oldsmobile.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not like the MPG of the LS when used as boat/car towing fodder.
I think the heads are designed around higher HP and atomization and intake runner heat is just not there for low end power and MPG.

Best truck engines i have done were 455 Oldsmobiles with J casting heads.
Since @TANSTAAFL brought it up.

Hard to find decent 455's today.
J castings had small runners 156CC which is like a small SBC runner size.
I would get 15MPG loaded or unloaded with the Olds 455 in trucks with stock cams.
Ported heads of course.

But those were not 1/4 mile quick.
Just great stump pullers.
I think that old Ford needs to be quick and fast as you have a stump puller.

Latest posts

Top Bottom