Couldn’t resist. 1965 F100 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No LS. No 4BT or 6BT. How about Boss 9 or old school FE? Sorry, die hard big block Ford fan. The Boss 9 would be expensive, an old 390 much more affordable and has many Shelby Goodies available. Even a Coyote or Godzilla would be preferrable to an LS. I will admit, the LS is a good engine, but there are many just as good if not better.

At the end of the day though it is your truck, not mine. If I won the lotto I would buy the truck from you and save it from being defiled by a Chevy or Cummins.

In spite of all that happy for you and hope it is a fun project!
Sorry but I despise the FE motors. Cool just not my cup of tea. Would go 351 c or w but need overdrive and this is a cheap project. Doing it in tandem with my square body crew cab. 4x4 shortbed build.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not like the MPG of the LS when used as boat/car towing fodder.
I think the heads are designed around higher HP and atomization and intake runner heat is just not there for low end power and MPG.

Best truck engines i have done were 455 Oldsmobiles with J casting heads.
Since @TANSTAAFL brought it up.

Hard to find decent 455's today.
J castings had small runners 156CC which is like a small SBC runner size.
I would get 15MPG loaded or unloaded with the Olds 455 in trucks with stock cams.
Ported heads of course.

But those were not 1/4 mile quick.
Just great stump pullers.
I think that old Ford needs to be quick and fast as you have a stump puller.
Got a 1500HD crew cab with the 6.0. It pulls pretty good but not a hot rod at all.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but I despise the FE motors. Cool just not my cup of tea. Would go 351 c or w but need overdrive and this is a cheap project. Doing it in tandem with my square body crew cab. 4x4 shortbed build.
351 Cleveland would be just as awesome. Saw an article on the 351 Cleveland boss, over 400HP not the advertised 335 HP in stock form, it was dynoed. They are a bit rare and hard to find.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
351 head on a six banger?
Yes on the 300 ford six.
If you have not seen or heard how that is done your motorhead card needs turned in.
And with a little in the know the LS GM bore spacing and bolt pattern are nearly identical and with some tweaking "Tweaking" used loosely here the LS head can sit on top of the 300" six and trump the old school tweaked Cleveland head setup.

Just for you.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/300-ford-inline-straight-six-with-ls-head-engine-build/

I think Grumpy Jenkins did the first 300 with sectioned Cleveland heads.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes on the 300 ford six.
If you have not seen or heard how that is done your motorhead card needs turned in.
And with a little in the know the LS GM bore spacing and bolt pattern are nearly identical and with some tweaking "Tweaking" used loosely here the LS head can sit on top of the 300" six and trump the old school tweaked Cleveland head setup.

Just for you.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/300-ford-inline-straight-six-with-ls-head-engine-build/

I think Grumpy Jenkins did the first 300 with sectioned Cleveland heads.
I've never been a Ford or 6 cylinder guy. Most of my engine knowledge is on Chevys and from Smokey Yunick. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have loved the inline 6 engines for years probably because the 240Z Datsun with 8500rpm cam and 4 barrel Carter AFB I had.
Makes you hate a V6.
I hated the SBC for many years because my Oldsmobiles and Buicks would destroy them.

Then one day back in 1992 I got the "in the family" Nova without an engine and was a toss up between one of my 455 olds engines or a 350 chevy.

I went 350 and just tweaked it a little and WTF came over me and I decided no one was building those SBC engines I raced against worth a darn.

I love a SBC now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom