Doctors and gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lie. There's no duty to tell the truth when asked such a question by them.

Better to lie about it. It will go into the statistics they keep and show that there are fewer guns in existence to "save the children" from. No problem in need of a Lefty solution. If you say yes then you're giving the turds ammo to use against you later on.

There is also some merit in having a ton of statistics showing there are millions of responsible gun owners out there whose guns are not being used, stored or accessed inappropriately and no notable incidents came out of their ownership.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is also some merit in having a ton of statistics showing there are millions of responsible gun owners out there whose guns are not being used, stored or accessed inappropriately and no notable incidents came out of their ownership.

Your response overlooks the concern that medical records are become the property of the federal government under Obamacare. It's not about convincing the doctor, it's about staying out of the database.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not overlooking that at all. I just mentioned that having records of gun owners is not in and of itself only a bad thing. It can work in our favor, as well.

Of course, it is an individual choice as to whether you want to be honest and upfront with a person who may one day have your life in his/her hands. Also, think about the fact that that answer you give may be used against you someday... not in a way you might anticipate. As in the following:

"So you're suing your physician for missing a condition that turned out to be important. I see here that you've consistently answered the question on this form for your visits to the doctor's office stating that you have no firearms in your home. Yet we've heard testimony that you are, and always have been, an avid collector of firearms.

Exactly what other important health information have you lied to your physician about?"

Or God forbid this gets used against you in a similar manner by the state after an accident involving one of your children.

There can always be unintended consequences, folks. If you want to say, "That's none of your business," that's one thing. But lying can always come back and bite you in the ass.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I can see that. If I can put aside my worries about the government health database, it appears better to answer, "no comment." But the larger question is, "Why is it legitimate for doctors to be asking about firearms ownership in the first place?" Shouldn't doctors refuse to participate in collecting such information?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

... Except that to an anti there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner. We're all raging maniacs just itching for an excuse to blow someone away.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I can see that. If I can put aside my worries about the government health database, it appears better to answer, "no comment."

To an anti any answer other than NO is a yes.

In their minds guns are so evil that to them answering in anyway other than NO must be a yes - afterall what right minded person could ever answer YES. Gun ownership is something to be ashamed of and to hide in their heads.

Still for me anyway the best answer to any doctor who asks is "That's none of your business, doc". Then go find a new doc.

Luckily mine has never asked, my son's pediatrician has never asked and to the best of my knowledge my wife's doc has never asked. Not all doctors are onboard with the AMA.

VladdDImpaler

Marksman
Reaction score
My GOD! When did this happen? If I'd had to deal with that when my daughters and son were born I think I'd have gone ballistic.

I was a little peeved after the fact. The question caught me off guard. My wife, who did not grow up around guns or in a family with a 2A mentality, was even shocked and a little upset. The other questions were also upsetting, especially for new parents. We felt like we were already neglecting our child before we got him home because our house wasn't 'safe' by that social worker's standards. We don't have child locks on cabinets yet, there is a lighter by the fireplace, etc. Think of something anyone might consider 'hazardous' for a child and they asked about it.

When it was all said and done though, she said she felt like we were more prepared than the majority of new parents she talks with. So at least that was a plus. Right? :scratch:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont see what difference it makes?........If its linked to your Drivers License, then that info cant be too hard to find.

Yes, but there are laws against using said databases in a manner not in keeping with their intended purpose. They at least have penalties associated with misuse, so the powers that be can maintain the facade that something will be done to violators, when in fact they will merely get a slap on the hand and a "don't do that again, wink, wink". :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom