Doctors and gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only doc I allow to know about any firearms is my eye doc, and that's only because I've talked to him specifically about corrective optics for shooting; he's even let me bring stuff to the office to make sure that the scrip would work, to mark the location on the lens for the optical center, etc. I suspect that at least one may suspect something, though, when I asked for a lead check to be added to my blood panel after shooting at a especially poorly-ventilated indoor range (seriously--I was blowing my nose blue-grey for a week, and the mucus dripping down the back of my sinuses tasted sweet). Came back at below detectable limits, never mentioned it again.

My doc knows I shoot. Between monitoring lead levels and my fitness for competition, it's pretty integral to my treatment. Her husband is a shooter and gun club member, and she always asks me how I'm doing at my matches.

I guess my point is, if you can’t trust your doc with the fact that you own firearms, why would you trust them to provide you with medical treatment? If I was concerned that my doc was going to use my gun ownership against me, I’d get a new doc. :(

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we are not suppose to lie.. but in this case... if you are filling out a form that asks about your gun ownership simply write 'N/A' / Not Applicable! Or if asked directly by the nurse or physician say 'No'! You are not under oath, nor is there any penalty for misleading them. There have been MANY cases where doctors actually refuse to treat patients [both adult & children] where the parent or child admitted that there is a gun in the home. Fox News did a special on it not long ago.

I'm reminded of a passage in the bible about obeying the laws of the land if they are just.. in this case it isn't a law that you have to disclose info about your weapons.... and it sure isn't just to ask about our guns in order for us to recieve medical treatment.

And as was alluded to previously, by federal law... gun sales and the related forms are not suppose to be used to create a federal / state database of gun owners... but there is nothing in the federal or state laws about using our medical records to create a back-door data base. This is just a end-run around the federal law & state laws.

When all medical records forms are standardized & computerized.. all a federal buracrat, insurance company or employer with access to your medical info would have to do is have the computer search all the medical records for the word 'gun' or 'firearm' and then he / she would have a list of all firearm owners in that data base who had funished info on firearms ownership.

VladdDImpaler

Marksman
Reaction score
When our son was born last month, the hospital social worker asked that question while filling out a "house safety survey" or something like that. I didn't even think about it and answered yes. She then politely asked me a series of questions like "are they locked up? is the ammo stored separately? how many do you have? blah blah blah". I said all my guns are in a safe place and the ammo is exactly where it needs to be. And as far as how many, I don't see why it is any concern of yours. She said they needed to make sure there were no weapons he could reach. I replied "He can't even crawl yet, hold his head up, or reach out and grab my hand, I think we'll be ok for awhile. And as he is growing up I will educate him in the proper use and proper safety of a firearm which is far more effective than putting the kid in a plastic bubble for firearms." She moved on to other "safety" issues and never asked about the firearms again.

Kinda wished I'd thought before answering and just lied.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When our son was born last month, the hospital social worker asked that question while filling out a "house safety survey" or something like that.

Say WHAT!!!!

DHS now officially inserts themselves into the birth of our children!

My GOD! When did this happen? If I'd had to deal with that when my daughters and son were born I think I'd have gone ballistic.

I've used the nanny state terminology before but mostly for effect not because I thought we were there yet.

WE - ARE - THERE people. If the GD Goobermint is now intruding into our lives in an official manner at the moment of our birth - WE - ARE - THERE.

<wanders off shaking head in pure unadulterated wonderment>

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When our son was born last month, the hospital social worker asked that question while filling out a "house safety survey" or something like that. I didn't even think about it and answered yes. She then politely asked me a series of questions like "are they locked up? is the ammo stored separately? how many do you have? blah blah blah". I said all my guns are in a safe place and the ammo is exactly where it needs to be. And as far as how many, I don't see why it is any concern of yours. She said they needed to make sure there were no weapons he could reach. I replied "He can't even crawl yet, hold his head up, or reach out and grab my hand, I think we'll be ok for awhile. And as he is growing up I will educate him in the proper use and proper safety of a firearm which is far more effective than putting the kid in a plastic bubble for firearms." She moved on to other "safety" issues and never asked about the firearms again.

Kinda wished I'd thought before answering and just lied.

Has anyone else had to do one of these "surveys" at childbirth? Is it mandatory? If not, do they act like it is?

I believe I would've politely declined to speak with her, period. The DHS is just like the police. Anything you say can and will be held against you. If you are a responsible and caring parent, these do-gooders are of no use to you whatsoever. :(

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI,Jerry,it's HIPPA,health insurance privacy protection act.We,at the hospital are bound by it.Criminal charges and or large fines accompany violations.Back on topic,I've never been asked the question but if I was,nunya would be my response.
FYI, redmax, it's HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/index.html

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lie. There's no duty to tell the truth when asked such a question by them.

Better to lie about it. It will go into the statistics they keep and show that there are fewer guns in existence to "save the children" from. No problem in need of a Lefty solution. If you say yes then you're giving the turds ammo to use against you later on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom