Does with Fawns. What do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do?

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no biologist, but I play one on the internet.

Are late born fawns not a sign of overpopulation or a way out of whack buck/doe ratio?

As I have been told, late born fawns are a result of poor buck to doe ratio's.

On our DMAP last year, we had (these aren't exact #'s but close) in the neighborhood of a 36 to 1 buck to doe ratio. The number that was really bad was the doe to fawn ratio. It was 30 some does to each fawn. Lots of does on our DMAP never got bred at all.
So, I'm sure when the second rut comes around in Dec, it is the source for late born fawns.

We took 40 does from this area last year, and will have to take that many more this year.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I have been told, late born fawns are a result of poor buck to doe ratio's.

On our DMAP last year, we had (these aren't exact #'s but close) in the neighborhood of a 36 to 1 buck to doe ratio. The number that was really bad was the doe to fawn ratio. It was 30 some does to each fawn. Lots of does on our DMAP never got bred at all.
So, I'm sure when the second rut comes around in Dec, it is the source for late born fawns.

We took 40 does from this area last year, and will have to take that many more this year.

Let me know if you need help with that Dennis. I'm always willing to do my part for the greater good! :)

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the doe. I've sworn off the little ones though. Not enough meat to make it worth while and I don't want to add them to my limit. There's plenty of big ones out there.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, I shoot them both.

If I am in Nebraska I shoot momma, both fawns, and whatever slick head comes behind them. We have a saying here in Eastern NE when it comes to does "shoot'em till they stop coming".

We have "unlimited" doe tags. A quota that never sales out. Want some meat, just go buy a couple of hand fulls and fill them. Furthermore our fawns field dress 60-80lbs (wife killed one that was over 100lb field dress), so thier is actually some meat on them.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no biologist, but I play one on the internet.

Are late born fawns not a sign of overpopulation or a way out of whack buck/doe ratio?

Neither, at least not in Nebraska.

Most late born fawns are offspring of the years previous fawns that come into heat during January and are bred by bucks.

I suppose if your buck to doe ratio got WAY out of whack that might be possible, but I've never heard of such.

Latest posts

Top Bottom