Does with Fawns. What do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do?

• Total voters

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose if your buck to doe ratio got WAY out of whack that might be possible, but I've never heard of such.

Really? It's pretty commonly repeated. Google it.

Theory being that there are buck/doe ratio is so unbalanced many does are not bred during their first cycle, and get bred during the their next cycle.

Goal being to have the vast majority of eligible does bred the first go around.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? It's pretty commonly repeated. Google it.

Theory being that there are buck/doe ratio is so unbalanced many does are not bred during their first cycle, and get bred during the their next cycle.

Goal being to have the vast majority of eligible does bred the first go around.

Yea, I understand now, and that is common, and that goes on everywhere to some extent. Does getting bred during thier second cyle during December is pretty common.

What I consider a late fawn are does bred in January or later. Like I said this is previous years fawns that come into heat. I just wasn't thinking about the December "rut".

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted that I would shoot the doe last week. I got a chance to do this on Sunday afternoon and followed through with my vote. Shot the doe and ended up scaring the fawn off when I found the doe. Fawn didn't have any spots and was definitely scared when she saw me, so I assume it will be fine. I felt bad for about half a second and then got over it. The wife on the other hand wasn't very impressed and didn't want to hear about it!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this old thread based on a recent experience. I shot the doe and let the fawn walk. Honestly, I didn't see the fawn until it came into my shooting lane after I killed it's mom. It stood there for about 2 minutes before finally wondering off. As it was standing there I immediately thought of this thread and chuckled to myself about those of you that suggested to kill the fawn. As much as I would have enjoyed some venison/veal, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this old thread based on a recent experience. I shot the doe and let the fawn walk. Honestly, I didn't see the fawn until it came into my shooting lane after I killed it's mom. It stood there for about 2 minutes before finally wondering off. As it was standing there I immediately thought of this thread and chuckled to myself about those of you that suggested to kill the fawn. As much as I would have enjoyed some venison/veal, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I doubled up on a fawn and doe last week.. I boned both of them out and ate the butterflied back straps off the fawn and I can honestly say that I have never ate a better cut of meat.. You could cut it with a fork, it was so tender.. And no hint of deer/ game taste.. After I tasted her I took the doe to processor to make summer sausage and jerky..

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I were discussing this yesterday. My theory is "if it has a spot, no shot. If it is brown, it goes down." Of the same sentiment, if any deer with it has spots, I'll take no shots. My first shot would be a mature doe as quantity over quality, but I have no reserves about picking some delicious tender morsels of young doe off the land.

My second doe I ever shot was a mom of twins. We were trying to do a stalk of sorts through the land. We spotted them on a neighbors land and they kept charging the fence like they wanted to jump, but couldn't. We went around the corner of the field and when we reached the edge of the woods she spotted us again, and she jumped the fence onto the land I had rights to, and kept running. her fawns were to small to try and jump the fence. I stayed put and after about 8 minutes she came walking back to her fawns and I capped her. Her fawns did stick close by the whole time, but hopefully watching me cut open their mom taught them to fear men.

Latest posts

Top Bottom