Ever think about retiring to another country?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have considered a country like Bulgaria or Croatia the dollar goes a long way there and you will still have a western standard of living. A good friend of mine retired to Peru and loves it, there is no way I would go to a common wealth country which is going down hill faster than the US and no way I would goto Italy or France.

Poland or Hungary on the other hand I would consider seriously as would I Latvia

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered a country like Bulgaria or Croatia the dollar goes a long way there and you will still have a western standard of living. A good friend of mine retired to Peru and loves it, there is no way I would go to a common wealth country which is going down hill faster than the US and no way I would goto Italy or France.

Poland or Hungary on the other hand I would consider seriously as would I Latvia
I'd like to visit Montenegro and Croatia. Looks beautiful! We'd lean towards Spanish speaking countries as my wife is bi-lingual. Ideally, should've started/planned this much earlier in life. I was thinking about what it would take for us to actually move to another country and becomes overwhelming quickly. What about house? Cars? Contents of house? Would you just liquidate everything? What if you don't like it? Etc....

Our retirement plans will be to visit some of these places for a month at a time then come back home. Save up more money. Go again. Repeat.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to visit Montenegro and Croatia. Looks beautiful! We'd lean towards Spanish speaking countries as my wife is bi-lingual. Ideally, should've started/planned this much earlier in life. I was thinking about what it would take for us to actually move to another country and becomes overwhelming quickly. What about house? Cars? Contents of house? Would you just liquidate everything? What if you don't like it? Etc....

Our retirement plans will be to visit some of these places for a month at a time then come back home. Save up more money. Go again. Repeat.
I know some folks who did that exact thing , sold everything and moved . I am not someone who likes to do things without a backup plan.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I researched it extensively. Ecuador was my focus after some research of other areas. Its cheap to live and the natives all speak English. There are already over 5000 American Expats in one area on the coast.
The downfalls are Medical care (still questionable to me), the process of relocation is a giant nightmare and forget owning a gun. Also as of the last few years Government unrest there is going on, much like here. Also I never got a straight answer on the IRS and SS.
So I decided to ixnay the idea. Might take 2 weeks and just go see it for myself one day and that maybe all it takes to solidify my decision. Puerto Rico offers much of the benefits without having to change citizenship.
Puerto Rico cost of living is about 9% below US average.
Oklahoma cost of living is about 15% below US average.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife talks about Mexico since she has a couple of sisters living near Puerto Vallarta. If I went somewhere I would keep my house here in OK to serve as a base of operations for when I need to come back to the states for medical or whatever and as a place to keep my guns if I had any.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would consider very carefully the level of medical care outside the US. For all the flaws of our system it still is the best in the world and obviously as we get older, we rely on that system.

Next, I would definitely consider taking a very extended vacation to wherever you you are considering. No less than six months. Let that honeymoon period wear off and see if things really are greener on the other side of the fence before you commit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom