Favorite Hot Sauce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most people don't know this, but most pepper plants can be grown as perennials in tropical/subtropical climates (they can live for several years). If you grow them in pots, bring the pots in early (well before the first freeze). It might shut down a little if it gets too cold and dark (mine usually do) but then rebound and grow bigger the next year. Thought I would throw that out there. I have a 1.5 year old habanero and it produced very well this year and is still alive. I am hoping next year will be even better.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The past couple of years I have been making my own. I use Serrano, Cayenne and red Jalapeno along with onion, garlic and herbs from the garden. I chop them up cover them with 50/50 mix of vinegar and water and let set for a couple of days. Then I bring them to a hard simmer for about 15 minutes. I then puree them in the food processor and strain out the pulp and adjust thickness and taste. I bottle and boil bath it for 10 minutes and it seems to keep just fine. You can pretty much adjust it to get exactly what you want depending on the peppers you use and how hot you like it. Makes really good hot sauce!

I make my own as well, different method, but similar in some respects. The straining is a huge PITA so I bought a hand crank food strainer that makes it go much faster.

S4F has had some of my "AWSumm Sauce"...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What I want to figure out is not using the vinegar. The vinegar taste is OK for some foods, but I really like that the El Yucateco doesn't have a vinegar base like Tobasco.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think most people don't know this, but most pepper plants can be grown as perennials in tropical/subtropical climates (they can live for several years). If you grow them in pots, bring the pots in early (well before the first freeze). It might shut down a little if it gets too cold and dark (mine usually do) but then rebound and grow bigger the next year. Thought I would throw that out there. I have a 1.5 year old habanero and it produced very well this year and is still alive. I am hoping next year will be even better.

Cool to know! I'll have to try that!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others I make my own. Grow tabasco peppers that don't ripen until late fall. Use a seeder attachment on the meat grinder to remove the seeds, put the pulp into a blender and liquefy.
You don't want your nose anywhere near the blender when you remove the lid. Don't ask me how I know this....
Add water and vinegar 50-50 with salt and powdered garlic, allow to simmer on the stove with the vent hood on max. You can adjust the heat with the addition of the water/vinegar mix.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Like others I make my own. Grow tabasco peppers that don't ripen until late fall. Use a seeder attachment on the meat grinder to remove the seeds, put the pulp into a blender and liquefy.
You don't want your nose anywhere near the blender when you remove the lid. Don't ask me how I know this....
Add water and vinegar 50-50 with salt and powdered garlic, allow to simmer on the stove with the vent hood on max. You can adjust the heat with the addition of the water/vinegar mix.

You lost me at powdered garlic.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You can do this with tomato plants as well. Pretty much anything you can grow really within reason. A lot of the major indoor farming operations have plants that are well over a year old. Saw one where they had a almost vine type of tomato plant that was trained onto a string which had a spool at the top. As it would grow the bottom most section would stop producing and they would then wind it around the base as they loosened the string so that new growth and produce could be harvested easily. Another one uses a single plant to produce HUGE amounts of tomatoes at once, for example. I would imagine this plant is at least three years old.

i.imgur.com_QtehkWS.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom