Filet Mignon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rare or Medium-Rare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
T-Bone or Rib Eye for me...now the wife eats filet...and I think she orders it medium. Dang,my wife and I last night were talking how much we missed Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Man,my stomach is rumbling for a good steak right now. Saturday is our anniversary,so we're going to Junior's....Mmm,mmm.

Cohiba

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, a traditional Pittsburgh will be charred from an open flame grill, but as you say, it has to be really hot. Flat tops usually don't do the trick.

Well, back in the welding days...........at the work site, I would take a flat half inch of plate steel, heat it up to glowing red, flop on steak. Could not do that to expanded metal, wouldn't retain enough heat.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well all you manly men may scoff, but I like mine medium rare. But, I prefer it to be slightly charred on the outside and completely pink in the middle. Something about a "blackened" steak appeals to my inner caveman. :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger problem is trying to find a place the cooks Rare to the right degree of done-ness. They seem to do medium-rare or blue-rare but not the actual rare. Medium-rare usually ends up medium :(

I liked Cattleman's because at least they could cook it right. I could order "Rare plus" which is between medium-rare and rare. They knew what I meant and would do it right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom