Filet Mignon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rare or Medium-Rare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has to be at least one wuss in the bunch and thats me. I take ServSafe training every 3 years and I don't eat things out of temp. For beef it has to be 145 degrees or I don't eat it. Medium it is for this ole boy.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess that half of you all who like to eat their filet rare are fibbing a bit. Why bother to cook it?

I like mine med-rare to medium with a side dish of mushrooms and a creamy horseradish sauce.

craigmn

Marksman
Reaction score
I have never understood whatever plus, medium rare and medium well barely qualify as temperatures to me, so saying "plus" just bumps it a doneness not a half. In the kitchen we just cook it rare, not rare plus because it doesn't actually exist It's either rare or medium rare, there isn't a between

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, back in the welding days...........at the work site, I would take a flat half inch of plate steel, heat it up to glowing red, flop on steak. Could not do that to expanded metal, wouldn't retain enough heat.

That's great, I'm just telling you how it SHOULD be cooked. :D

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter is 9, weighs about 55 lbs and gets her steaks rare then eats the red out of the middle. Makes me laugh. The servers never believe she will eat it.

I go rare/medium rare area. Just depends on the cook. Much prefer less cooked to overcooked.

My wife gets medium well....what a waste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom