Food, water, security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have spent the last few years stockpiling what I believe are our basic needs. I am now comfortable that I have enough of what I believe are the 3 keys to survival. Beyond food, water, and security (guns/ammo/shelter), where else should I be focusing our preps?

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might add gardening, also.

I think this is an aspect alot of preppers forget about or dont really concern themselves with. I'm not sure about those who neglect this aspect but I dont plan to live off chips, candy & other pre-packaged goods unless there is no other option like contaminated soil or something. I'd much rather eat fresh veggies/meat.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is an aspect alot of preppers forget about or dont really concern themselves with. I'm not sure about those who neglect this aspect but I dont plan to live off chips, candy & other pre-packaged goods unless there is no other option like contaminated soil or something. I'd much rather eat fresh veggies/meat.

Yep. Not to mention gardening is a whole lot harder than it sounds. I remember my first garden. I spent a ton of money and in return I got absolutely NO harvest, save a handful (and my hands aren't that big) of tomatoes. What the birds and bugs didn't get burned smooth up in August. (And believe me, the birds and the bugs didn't eat all that well ... ) It was pitiful. Good thing I'm stubborn, otherwise, I'd have given up ...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definately food production.

Medical for sure, but with a heavy emphasis on hygiene, sanitation and prevention.

Tourniquets are cool, but disease/illness created by poor hygiene and sanitation will kill more people than trauma.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And while I'm thinking about it, however much water you have it will not be enough. If you are in a position to be able to do so, look into rainwater harvesting, greywater use and alternate means to filter/sanitize water that you are able to gather in unconventional methods.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Not to mention gardening is a whole lot harder than it sounds. I remember my first garden. I spent a ton of money and in return I got absolutely NO harvest, save a handful (and my hands aren't that big) of tomatoes. What the birds and bugs didn't get burned smooth up in August. (And believe me, the birds and the bugs didn't eat all that well ... ) It was pitiful. Good thing I'm stubborn, otherwise, I'd have given up ...

Yep, gardening is an art form. My grandma is 85 & has a garden every single year. I struggle to grow things but for her it's like second nature, LOL. I'm taking gardening 101 with grandma this season & starting my own at home. Pity I didn't really get interested in it till this late in life, I'm sure she could have taught me all kind of secrets by now had I started sooner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom