Food, water, security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cinaet, we need to talk. I have tried and tried and tried to get sprouts to sprout ... I'm doing something wrong though because they NEVER turn out. :scratch: They will sprout but then, the best way I know to describe it is they "dampen off" ... Don't grow or get any green to them. Just kinda wither away. :scratch:

(Oh, and I don't like those mung bean seed things ... They smell awful! Peeee-uuuwwwwww!)

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And while I'm thinking about it, those of you who tore been a new one and then thought better of it and deleted your posts ... Folks who have their notifications set will still see your message. Been's a good kid. If I had to pick a bunch of internet commandos to hang out with, he'd be right up there in the top ... Ahhh ... Oh, 25 or so! :rollingla

Last edited by a moderator:

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
You're right BadgeBunny; I let my "redheaded temper" get the best of me for a couple of minutes! I've learned my lesson early that a Forum is no place to let your differences get the best of you; hence the delete!

You seem pretty knowledgeable on a lot of subjects. Do you have any hints or suggestions on how to keep veggie gardens going in the summers we seem to be having every year now. I really like the vertical Grow Sticks but I'm trying to figure out if shading with a tarp, or what, can keep plants from getting to hot. Even though I water religiously, it just seems the ground or containers get too hot and even water doesn't help. I would love to do hydroponics, and have read quite a bit, but don't know if I have the room on my patio where I'd like to keep it.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any hints or suggestions on how to keep veggie gardens going in the summers we seem to be having every year now. I really like the vertical Grow Sticks but I'm trying to figure out if shading with a tarp, or what, can keep plants from getting to hot. Even though I water religiously, it just seems the ground or containers get too hot and even water doesn't help. I would love to do hydroponics, and have read quite a bit, but don't know if I have the room on my patio where I'd like to keep it.

With a lot of mulch, and a lot of water.
Plant your tomato and other sensitive plants in the shade of your corn stalks. Leave the stalks after you pick the corn to provide shade.
Pray for RAIN!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately some of the heat we've had on occassion of the last few years will kill your plants pretty much anyway. Oppressive comes to mind. I didn't even want to get in the shaded part of the pool.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish ... I'm not having any better luck than anybody else ... I think it was dennishoddy who suggested some shade covers. I'm gonna give that a try this year.

I tried the shade screens on my 'maters two summers ago and it helped a little, but like Old Fart said, the heat eventually got them anyway. However, a buddy has a nice tree line that gives him morning sun and real afternoon shade. He planted there, and his 'maters took off!

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion( and that is all it is)would be to focus on Training, use the tools you have set aside to consume your supplies, mess kits, ceramic water filtration systems, practice cooking on an open fire, using the heater pack in an MRE ( if you chose to store those). Its one thing to stock pile, its another to be able to use that stock pile effectively and efficiently. If you ever have to use these supplies you will most likely be experience some a good amount of stress, and sleep deprivation just to start with, which is no time to figure out that tool/supply "X" does not work.. I would also continue to stock pile things that would prove valuable in a barter system. As things break and you are not going to be able to plan for every contingency and may need to acquire certain supplies/tools after an event..

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, SMS, our neighbors have a mulberry tree that gives good afternoon shade. I always thought it would be too shady under there but maybe not. I'll give that corner of the yard a try.

I agree with usmcvet that OJT is more important than just storing stuff and reading books (although those things have their place). Gardening is a prime example. It doesn't seem that difficult on the surface but it takes a few years to get the hang of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom