Food, water, security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And while I'm thinking about it, however much water you have it will not be enough. If you are in a position to be able to do so, look into rainwater harvesting, greywater use and alternate means to filter/sanitize water that you are able to gather in unconventional methods.

I dont think some people realize that alot of their water wont be just for drinking...

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepare to deal with people like me. If I find out you have supplies I will not leave you alone. I will stay just out of reach from you and annoy you till I can find a way to take your belongings. You might want to prep for firefighting, moving, and hiding yourself.

Ha ha. Have planned, trained, and hopefully covered that scenario. Just hope your not as good as I am at 500 yards!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not throwing a cold rag on any ideas. Gardening is an excellent one. Just remember though that having one is an open invitation to thieves. So you need to plan for that also.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think some people realize that alot of their water wont be just for drinking...

No kidding! I love all the posts on other forums about folks who have set up hydro/aquaponic systems, but have only one water source. Or folks who fire up the tractor (or even the tiller for that matter).

However, it is what it is. I like playing in the dirt but maybe wouldn't like it near so much if I knew I couldn't take a long hot shower at the end of the day. Taking advantage of modern conveniences is not the problem. Forgetting that they are modern and conveniences is, however, an issue.

(And been!! Stop shaking up the newbies! :rollingla )

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And while I'm thinking about it, those of you who tore been a new one and then thought better of it and deleted your posts ... Folks who have their notifications set will still see your message. Been's a good kid. If I had to pick a bunch of internet commandos to hang out with, he'd be right up there in the top ... Ahhh ... Oh, 25 or so! :rollingla

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, gardening is frigging tough!

You can have fresh greens that require very limited knowledge and very little effort any time of year. Sprouts. For best results you'll need sprouting seeds which are sold at health food stores or online and an inexpensive sprouting kit. The seeds last pretty much indefinitely. (We found some sprouting seeds my wife bought 40-45 years ago when were going through our hippie stage and they sprouted like we just bought them yesterday.) I've tried sprouting generic grains from the feed store. In particular red wheat. You're way better off buying seeds/beans marketed specifically for sprouting. I can't believe I haven't thought of posting this sooner.

You can play a drinking game with this video where you take a drink every time he says, "big bang for your buck." :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom