Food, water, security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the last 2 heat wave years we've experienced here we have put up "tailgate tarpaulins". Tarpaulins over metal tubular frames to no avail. Factoring in plenty of H20 and even loving words and gentle hands cuddling the dirt old Mother Nature did us dirty. As in most droughts, sometimes ya just can't catch a break.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew an old cur dog like that once.

Yep, me too. The old cur's mistake was under estimating my reach. My old hunting buddy did name my rifle AT&T.

Not that BEEN would really do something like that, there are plenty out there who would.

The recent ammo fiasco got me thinking (WOW, imagine that ) and I had been stocking up on ammo since the current admininstration took office, but I hadn't stocked up on good quality hunting pellets. Academy had a good supply of pellets so I bought 1000.

Another stash/barter item is fishing supplies, I have bags of hooks, rolls of line, and buckets of sinkers.

On the gardening note, purchase extra seeds and store them in a coffe can in a dark, dry cabinet. They will keep FOREVER. My uncle gave me a can of old seeds 4 yrs ago from the 50's and 60's. We planted them and had a GREAT garden, turnips, beans, squach, cukes, okra, corn; everything came up and produced. Stores will take 'old' leftover seed packets and mark them wayyyyy down. I buy them all.

Last edited:

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not throwing a cold rag on any ideas. Gardening is an excellent one. Just remember though that having one is an open invitation to thieves. So you need to plan for that also.

You could always poison a few plants and keep track of which ones you did.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the last 2 heat wave years we've experienced here we have put up "tailgate tarpaulins". Tarpaulins over metal tubular frames to no avail. Factoring in plenty of H20 and even loving words and gentle hands cuddling the dirt old Mother Nature did us dirty. As in most droughts, sometimes ya just can't catch a break.

We planted our first garden in 2011 and didn't have a lot of luck. However, it was a great learning experience (an expensive one too). Are garden last year produced more than my wife and I needed. This year is already looking better than last year. I hope you have better luck.

Btw, we used raised beds filled with 1/3 peatmoss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost last year. It makes for a very fluffy and easy to manage dirt mix. Once you have this, the next year you just have to add compost (which is what we did this year).

Latest posts

Top Bottom