Looking for a .22 rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for a .22 rifle for plinking. I would kind of like a pump rifle, but not really necessary. The only twist here is that I am 6'4" tall and a lot of the .22's I find are youth size. Anybody have any recommendations for one that might fit me better than others? I guess a trip to a big gun show is order but don't want to wait that long.
Thanks!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also 6'4". My favorite .22 rifles are a Marlin 39A for my open-sighted rifle and a Ruger 77/22 for my scoped rifle. They are both high quality adult rifles with great accuracy at a reasonable price.

Cedar Creek

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say Marlin as well, but prefer the much cheaper Mod 60 auto. I had a 39 and it was a tack driver, but soon got tired of the weight and length of the barrel, the lever action was cool and ability to shoot shorts was great on the squirrels (very low noise, just above a pellet gun). At $400 + well heck I can get 2 60s and a ton of ammo and the accuracy of the 60 is awfully close.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for a .22 rifle for plinking. I would kind of like a pump rifle, but not really necessary. The only twist here is that I am 6'4" tall and a lot of the .22's I find are youth size. Anybody have any recommendations for one that might fit me better than others? I guess a trip to a big gun show is order but don't want to wait that long.
Thanks!

Remington and Henry have the only current production pumps that I am aware of, unless you can find a Winchester, Taurus or Rossi at a pawnshop or used rack in the gun stores. I have both a Remington and a Henry, seems like the Remington may have a little longer length of pull, but I cant be sure as I have never took the time to measure. The Remington does have a longer barrel though. Both are good shooters and fun.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a 10/22 with a 6 position adjustable stock. It fits everyone who shoots it and with the the new holographic sight, it is a blast to plink with.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can break away from having a pump you can't go wrong with a CZ-452 bolt action 22. Precision built, beautiful wood, high quality and accurate as all get out right out of the box. Highly recommended.

For less money a Marlin 925 will do ya good. Not as purty as the CZ and a bit less accurate but mucho bang for the buck.

You can get 10 round magazines for both - see - you really don't need that pump after all.

Reaction score
If you can break away from having a pump you can't go wrong with a CZ-452 bolt action 22. Precision built, beautiful wood, high quality and accurate as all get out right out of the box. Highly recommended.

For less money a Marlin 925 will do ya good. Not as purty as the CZ and a bit less accurate but mucho bang for the buck.

You can get 10 round magazines for both - see - you really don't need that pump after all.

+1000, WW speaks wisely!

Having said that, there are plenty of non-youth .22s out there, including pumps - go here for a current thread on pumps:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88721

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input. I checked out a Marlin 60 yesterday. If I buy one of those I would get a new one, they are so cheap. I will try to find some more of the ones suggested and try them all out.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom