Motor oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a '99 Ford F250 with the 6.8L V10 engine. Has a new engine in it that now has around 500 miles on it. I want to change the oil now. Looking for recommendations from all you car guys out there: What brand? Weight? Synthetic or dino?

I have typically been a Valvoline guy and I use 10w-30 dino oil in both my wife's and my daily drivers. This truck is just my car hauler, work/farm truck. I don't drive it often. Have put about 15K miles on it in 2+ years and that average will decrease going forward.

TIA!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often do you expect between oil change intervals? That can change the answer to the question. If you expect a long time due to it being infrequently driven, you can benefit from a synthetic. If you change it relatively frequently, like say every 3-6 months regardless of mileage driven, you should be fine with conventional.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with a quality synthetic.

Synthetics are slipperyer. Can withstand higher temps than non-synthetics before breaking down and do not hold particulates in suspension like non-synthetics do.

Mobil 1 - 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Castrol also makes an exellent synthetic.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had great luch with Valvoline synthetic blend. I had 225K on my Avalanche when I sold it and it never even had the spark plugs changed and ran perfect. Changed every 4.5 to 5K. I think the best advice would be not to skimp on the filter. The factory motorcraft are good and the top line Wix is the best money can buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom