NRA and OK2A work against open carry in parks and zoos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Tulsa Zoo is owned by the city but is managed by a "private" non-profit. Several city owned parks and zoos are differing to this model across the nation.

"4. Any property designated by a city, town, county or state governmental authority as a park, recreational area, wildlife refuge, wildlife management area or fairgrounds; provided, nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun firearm into any structure, building or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section; and"

No where in there does it say anything about who manages it, just that its property designated by Tulsa as a park, which the Tulsa zoo is. It surely doesn't fall under any of the provisions of subsection A unless they want to claim the Zoo as an educational facility. Not saying you're wrong, just not understanding how they can have a no firearm policy when the law clearly states that city parks can not have a no firearms policy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"4. Any property designated by a city, town, county or state governmental authority as a park, recreational area, wildlife refuge, wildlife management area or fairgrounds; provided, nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun firearm into any structure, building or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section; and"

No where in there does it say anything about who manages it, just that its property designated by Tulsa as a park, which the Tulsa zoo is. It surely doesn't fall under any of the provisions of subsection A unless they want to claim the Zoo as an educational facility. Not saying you're wrong, just not understanding how they can have a no firearm policy when the law clearly states that city parks can not have a no firearms policy.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. I'm literally just providing that the structure of management now and the reasoning for the push back for opposing CC or Open carry by lets say the Gathering Place. These entities likely won't be able to afford the insurance in certain circumstances because the carriers that would be competitive won't write the coverage. These entities loose the umbrella protection of the city.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't open carry anyway so it doesn't concern me unless some rookie gets overly ambitious and that probably isn't too likely.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. I'm literally just providing that the structure of management now and the reasoning for the push back for opposing CC or Open carry by lets say the Gathering Place. These entities likely won't be able to afford the insurance in certain circumstances because the carriers that would be competitive won't write the coverage. These entities loose the umbrella protection of the city.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just still not seeing how they can legally have a no firearms policy when the zoo is owned by the city in a city park.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

City of Tulsa lists 134 "parks", so apparently this is not just about the Gathering Place and Zoos. And there are a ton of WMA's, during warm months when I'm out taking pictures I like to have my Judge loaded with .410's for snakes OWB. My question is, has the right to open carry in such areas now been changed to concealed only, to be able to pass Constitutional Carry?

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not convinced the 2nd Amendment gives you an absolute right to openly carry a firearm anywhere you want. You were born naked. Why can't you so remain everywhere you go regardless of what others may think?
You were also born spittin' up without warning and poopin' & peein' yerself.

This may be the dumbest argument I've ever seen anywhere.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you guys are having your fun with this but it is not about whether one needs to open carry or not.

It is about another restriction to our carry rights and those that are willing to give up yet another piece of those rights because they don't see it as any infringement on them personally.

Yes, there are those that are laughable in the way they open carry and there are those that cringe at, or quake in fear of the sight, but it is our right and it should be supported, especially by those of us that believe in freedom and less government control.

Carry on. :)

I'm more scared of a MAGA cap! Those folks are crazy!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
City of Tulsa lists 134 "parks", so apparently this is not just about the Gathering Place and Zoos. And there are a ton of WMA's, during warm months when I'm out taking pictures I like to have my Judge loaded with .410's for snakes OWB. My question is, has the right to open carry in such areas now been changed to concealed only, to be able to pass Constitutional Carry?

This is a separate bill being pushed to address the perpetual issue with places that have been turned over to trusts and private entities...it changes nothing in regards to carry in WMA's, city parks, and other locations addressed by the body of law dealing with carry.

Here is the important verbiage from HB2010:

"E. In any municipal zoo or park of any size that is owned, leased, operated or managed by: 1. A public trust created pursuant to the provisions of Section 176 of Title 60 of the Oklahoma Statutes; or 2. A nonprofit entity, an individual shall be allowed to carry a concealed handgun but not openly carry a handgun on the property."

So under this provision, anti-gun municipalities can't get around the "park carry" provisions and implement a back-door ban on the carry of firearms by turning the property over to a private trust like they tried to do with The Gathering Place.

You can put a shirt over your gun or shove it in a pocket and go hang out with the freaks and geeks that congregate in those places if you so choose lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom