NRA and OK2A work against open carry in parks and zoos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a separate bill being pushed to address the perpetual issue with places that have been turned over to trusts and private entities...it changes nothing in regards to carry in WMA's, city parks, and other locations addressed by the body of law dealing with carry.

Here is the important verbiage from HB2010:

"E. In any municipal zoo or park of any size that is owned, leased, operated or managed by: 1. A public trust created pursuant to the provisions of Section 176 of Title 60 of the Oklahoma Statutes; or 2. A nonprofit entity, an individual shall be allowed to carry a concealed handgun but not openly carry a handgun on the property."

So under this provision, anti-gun municipalities can't get around the "park carry" provisions and implement a back-door ban on the carry of firearms by turning the property over to a private trust like they tried to do with The Gathering Place.

You can put a shirt over your gun or shove it in a pocket and go hang out with the freaks and geeks that congregate in those places if you so choose lol.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. When Nov. 1 comes around, will the holder of an Oklahoma Handgun license be able to open carry in parks, WMA's, etc. unless HB2010 is enacted, but if it is, then those places that are operated by a private trust will be able to restrict carry to concealed only, is that correct?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little confused. When Nov. 1 comes around, will the holder of an Oklahoma Handgun license be able to open carry in parks, WMA's, etc. unless HB2010 is enacted, but if it is, then those places that are operated by a private trust will be able to restrict carry to concealed only, is that correct?

No. HB2010 has not been through the legislature and been signed by Sitt yet.

Right now, parks and zoos that are owned, leased, managed, or operated by public trusts or private entities are the subject of a lot of legal wrangling and online arguments etc regarding the status of lawful carry. See the recent events surrounding carry in The Gathering Place. If HB2010 passes, that discussion and confusion will effectively end. Concealed carry will be allowed on those properties and the entities that manage them cannot say otherwise.

If and when it passes, it only applies to municipal parks and zoos operated by public trusts or private entities. It has nothing to do with WMAs or city/state run parks.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you got a hunting license in your pocket I don't see anything wrong with open carrying at wma's.
Coyote season is year round.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a separate bill being pushed to address the perpetual issue with places that have been turned over to trusts and private entities...it changes nothing in regards to carry in WMA's, city parks, and other locations addressed by the body of law dealing with carry.

Here is the important verbiage from HB2010:

"E. In any municipal zoo or park of any size that is owned, leased, operated or managed by: 1. A public trust created pursuant to the provisions of Section 176 of Title 60 of the Oklahoma Statutes; or 2. A nonprofit entity, an individual shall be allowed to carry a concealed handgun but not openly carry a handgun on the property."

So under this provision, anti-gun municipalities can't get around the "park carry" provisions and implement a back-door ban on the carry of firearms by turning the property over to a private trust like they tried to do with The Gathering Place.

You can put a shirt over your gun or shove it in a pocket and go hang out with the freaks and geeks that congregate in those places if you so choose lol.
I certainly DO NOT consider myself, my family or my friends freaks because such public places .Are you saying my grandchildren are FREAKS?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If and when it passes, it only applies to municipal parks and zoos operated by public trusts or private entities. It has nothing to do with WMAs or city/state run parks.

In Tulsa that will mean all of the River Parks spanning to Turkey Mountain as they fall under the River Parks Authority.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant lol.
You sir have no couth! The majority of people who frequent these places are typically Americana families. Hey if you don't want to be around the avg American family strap that birthday six gun on and go play at the local range .You see if you go there as I do,you'll still find avg American freaks ! They just happen to love firearms but are not so in secure they need to show off that big six gun to the rest of us. I'm a CC guy myself too

Latest posts

Top Bottom