OHP Troopers at College Football Games

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKLAHOMAMOSES

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't really care one way or another but at a class 2a football playoff game in the town of Hennessey OK two weeks ago their were two OHP troopers and two county sheriffs at the game, I think population of this town is in the neighbor hood of 2000 population. Seems to have been an extreme use of tax payer money? Just my opinion. Before you rip me, let me say that my dad was in federal law enforcement for 20 years and my uncle was an MP killed in the line of duty.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't really care one way or another but at a class 2a football playoff game in the town of Hennessey OK two weeks ago their were two OHP troopers and two county sheriffs at the game, I think population of this town is in the neighbor hood of 2000 population. Seems to have been an extreme use of tax payer money? Just my opinion. Before you rip me, let me say that my dad was in federal law enforcement for 20 years and my uncle was an MP killed in the line of duty.

1) Were they on duty?

2) Did they have family playing in the game?

3) They still have to have security at these events.

My Uncle was with OHP when he passed away (was not on duty) and my cousin had a game the following Friday night. There were several of my Uncle's OHP brothers there to support my cousin and the family. Just because they were there in uniform does not mean they were on duty.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest, state/county/city LEOs have a tough enough job as it is and are not paid what they're worth ( except for that young guy who stopped me the other day for speeding on Robinson ;) ). If they get a little perk here and there with a football game, more power to them. There are a whole host of other things to complain about where government use of pubic money is concerned.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Many times we have out-of-jurisdictions LEO's show up at our local sporting events. And in 90% of the cases it's cause they have CHILDREN playing. The other times it's cause they are working, out on patrol, and they are just being good public servants by stopping in and socializing. All LEO work isn't about writing tickets and cracking heads.

And as for your last sentence, so what? You made some knee jerk comments without having a single fact. You need to be flamed. :soapbox:

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score

Small town football. Playoffs. Good portion of the population from that area and the area of the opposing team is there. You think that might be the main focus of anything bad that was going to happen that night? :thumbup3:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a couple of eons ago I worked for a major electric utility company that serviced a stadium that hosted Major leauge Baseball and a NFL franchise.

To satisfy the TV broadcast contracts our power company was paid by those franchises to keep a "stand by crew" at the stadium to service any electrical failures.

Sure... it's not the same as a State Trooper bird dogging the side lines... but 'work' is 'work'. We usually had to 'force' a crew to take the overtime hours involved in working a broad cast game. Not the 'perk' you would think it is...........

OKLAHOMAMOSES

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many times we have out-of-jurisdictions LEO's show up at our local sporting events. And in 90% of the cases it's cause they have CHILDREN playing. The other times it's cause they are working, out on patrol, and they are just being good public servants by stopping in and socializing. All LEO work isn't about writing tickets and cracking heads.

And as for your last sentence, so what? You made some knee jerk comments without having a single fact. You need to be flamed. :soapbox:

Jerks like you are why a lot of people don't post on here, two county, two OHP, all four have kids in a school with an average ADA of 600, doubt it! They were just looking for some thing to do and socialize better with birds of a feather, 60 % of them can't socialize with an average citizen, they don't possess the social skills, there's knee jerk for you yukon, flame on!:police2:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jerks like you are why a lot of people don't post on here, two county, two OHP, all four have kids in a school with an average ADA of 600, doubt it! They were just looking for some thing to do and socialize better with birds of a feather, 60 % of them can't socialize with an average citizen, they don't possess the social skills, there's knee jerk for you yukon, flame on!:police2:

Oh I dunno ... I think 60% might be a little on the high side.

Of course, I will be the first to admit I'm a bit biased.

But while I am connected to JBTs now for the first 40 years of my life I was just another lowly civilian and all the JBTs I met (and every single one of them met me when I was doing something I probably shouldn't have been doing :lookaroun) were decent guys. More than one of them cut me a break I didn't deserve. I was quite the trouble-maker back in the day. :eek2: I know, hard to believe, huh?? :rotflmao:

mattrob80

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OHP Trooper and the OUPD officer are paid by the Athletic Department at OU. The OUAD contracts OUPD who then sub contracts all the LEOs at the home games (which is why you see deputies from Grady County, Cameron University, and a lot of other places outside of Norman/Cleveland County). It's the same thing, just smaller scale for away games. Generally it's 1 OUPD officer and probably a couple of Troopers. The Troopers also don't drive their state vehicles to away games. They travel with the team, usually by plane, unless they're playing in state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom