Oklahoma explores program to charge drivers per mile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since some of y'all apparently have no idea, plug in hybrid cars (gas engine and electric battery) pay an $86 tax added on to their registration. You pay that whether you charge it or not, it's not optional for all these "free ride" electric cars. And plug-in hybrids are still paying that fuel tax too.....
I am unsure if full electric cars pay that tax to Oklahoma, but I am fairly sure that Oklahoma is one of very few, if not the only, state that taxes/fines electric cars. How many states have huge tax rebates for electric owners instead?
To further the specifics, how bout a Ford Fusion Hybrid I can see from my house. I know for a fact that car gets about 36 MPG without plugging it in, because of the regenerative braking that charges the battery every time you stop. However, Ford has recalled the charging capability, so it shouldn't be plugged in at all. And since Ford has absolutely no fix in the works for that, any Ford using that setup still has to pay the $86 tax, and now pay the added fuel taxes from their lost MPGs.

Edit to add, the mileage tax wouldn't affect me and my truck very much, I only drive about 1400 miles a year, at about 14MPG.

But commuters that travel 30+ miles across the metro to work, it's gotta suck.

I'm against the mileage tax, but I'm also against the fuel tax already in place.

Edit #31:
I know all of this because my wife wants a 2024/2025 Kia Sorento Plug-in Hybrid. Oklahoma (across EVERY Kia dealership combined) averages two a month for sale, total. Yet the 4 or 5 Kia dealers in Denver have an average of 14 each, per day on their lots for sale, and they are extremely hot sellers.
She keeps talking about spending a weekend in Denver car shopping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom