Oklahoma DOT Studies Charging Vehicles by mileage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would need a computer in my car (not happening) for a tracker unit unless it is a stand alone unit.
I do not own a cell/portable phone.
They would be out of luck there :)
They'll just put a tracker in the license plates and require everybody to get a new one at their next registration. Just like they did with the stupid blue/white splatter plates.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People using public charging stations already pay via a "pay-as-you-go" system with a credit card for their EV "fuel". Why not just mandate that new and existing home-based EV charging stations must include a KW/HR metering function - a miniature version of the electric meter on your house. Then we can all make our choice:

(1) Drive our ICE and pay road taxes at the pump just like we do now;
(2) Charge our EV at a public station using a credit card which could include road taxes; or
(3) Since EV owners ALREADY have to have a home charging station, add a metering function which would add road taxes to monthly electric bills based on how much power is consumed by his at-home charger.

Seems simple to me to implement, would require NO mods to existing ICE or EV vehicles, no $ charges to existing ICE owners, no requirement to track mileage, and would only require a one-time modification to existing and future home-based EV chargers (add the metering function). The only taxpayer cost might be retrofitting metering to existing home chargers.

The only people that are left out of this equation as best I can tell are those few who charge off a regular 120V or 240 plug in cord overnight, but I doubt there are that many of those, and most of those are hybrid owners, who drive most of their longer trips on ICE anyway, and are thus covered by (1) above.

Change my mind.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll just put a tracker in the license plates and require everybody to get a new one at their next registration. Just like they did with the stupid blue/white splatter plates.
No, that wont happen. This issue they want to address is travelers from other states that pass through by the millions per year and never stop for fuel, thus avoiding fuel tax. Mostly trucks which do the most damage to our roads. Not that they do so on purpose but they simply can because they are carrying 600 gal. of diesel and if they fill up in another state, they drive plumb through OK with no reason to stop. I've done same in other states, fill up in Ponca City and dont stop again till I'm in NE. not paying any tax in KS.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if you dont drive much, your not buying alot of fuel either.

I go WEEKS without getting in the car. Grumpy just rotates what he drives to work so nothing gets stale ... Lol ... If they tax him so much it's not worth it for him to work he will just quit and stay home with me. That'll be fun ... 😇

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they'll put one of those insurance trackers on your car that communicates with the state, or an app on your phone to get your mileage.
That would be great.

Leave your phone at home. I would have no problem at all with people doing this ;) The driving public survived 100 years without cell phones in their vehicles; I’m certain we can do it now!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go WEEKS without getting in the car. Grumpy just rotates what he drives to work so nothing gets stale ... Lol ... If they tax him so much it's not worth it for him to work he will just quit and stay home with me. That'll be fun ... 😇
I doubt they will raise the tax at all. They want the revenue from the trucks. I-35 and I-40 are major truck routes and many are able to drive right through without needing to buy fuel. Not all, but many.

Latest posts

Top Bottom