Oklahoma DOT Studies Charging Vehicles by mileage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that the most fair way to pay for the roads would be to tax according to the weight of the vehicle. Weight is what puts the most wear and tear on the roads. Eliminate the fuel tax to equalize petrol and electric. Age of the vehicle really wouldn't matter --- tax wouldn't get cheaper as the vehicle gets older as it does now.

Got my flameproof suit on...........

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely don't want this...they ain't getting rid of the fuel tax. Some folks have to drive 40mi round trip to get groceries.

Nobody would be registering their vehicles...it would be Mad Max all over the place.
I drive over 25,000 miles a year. That would kill me unless they did away with the fuel tax.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I in different vehicles years ago would drive over 70,000 miles a year.

Not hard to disable the mile counter or roll back cable driven speedometers and digital speedometers can be hacked and mileage set to whatever you type in.

Be fully aware of that next time you visit a used car lot.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bastards. No wonder I call oklahoma taxahoma.

Bet the tax will be added onto the yearly registration, a tiered system, like the current tag costs.

Bet we end up with $500 a year tags renewals.
I really wouldn't mind this tax or that tax, we're gonna get taxed one way or another but I'd like our roads to not be so 'third world ox cart path'. I've driven in Puerto Rico and yeah it's third world and yeah our roads are just as terrible. It's not so much Taxahoma but Scamahoma, scammy road deals and politicians.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m always concerned when the government plans to roll out a new program. In this case a new method for taxing people. If they tax “too much” they’ll never lower rates. If they tax too little they’ll gladly raise raise. Even if you taxed a penny per mile there are plenty of people who do 50+ miles per day plus weekend driving. Then they have two or more cars in the home. This will easily add $20/mo or more to a lot of peoples living expenses. I for one think this is a garbage idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom