Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is it law now or does it need something from the House? I thought once bills passed the Senate, they were law. Maybe I'm mixed up, I thought they went through the house first and then the Senate.

The TW article linked above says:

"Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 4/21/2010 11:37 AM
Last Modified: 4/21/2010 10:28 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY — A bill allowing people with concealed-carry permits to openly carry weapons passed the Senate.
House Bill 3354 passed Wednesday with no debate and now heads to the House. The vote was 33-15."

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is it law now or does it need something from the House? I thought once bills passed the Senate, they were law. Maybe I'm mixed up, I thought they went through the house first and then the Senate.
Path of a bill:
http://www.oksenate.gov/about/billtolaw.html

The approved Senate bill was referred for engrossment. The Senate made substantial changes.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html

AUTHORITY TO ISSUE LICENSE
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is hereby authorized to license an eligible person to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun as provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act. The Bureau's authority of the Bureau shall be limited to the provisions specifically provided in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The Bureau shall promulgate rules, forms and procedures necessary to implement the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

“Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible;

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It seems that those that opposed the bill are saying the same things they were saying when they passed concealed carry, I will never understand the ignorance of such individuals, especially of those that hold a position in office.

Anyone have any prediction of this passing or not passing?

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Path of a bill:
http://www.oksenate.gov/about/billtolaw.html

The approved Senate bill was referred for engrossment. The Senate made substantial changes.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html

Bills can go back to the house from the senate if they are introduced in the senate.

I just got off of the phone with an SDA / OSBI representitive. They said its looking like it will become law, they bring this open carry bill to the table every year. However this year it has more steam than they have ever seen... Get ready. LOL

Wow I bet the crime is going to go WAY down in Oklahoma!

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will our governor veto the bill if it passes?

IMO - yes.

Gov Henry from everything I've read and heard is bucking for an appointment to some national level job. He'll veto it for that reason alone.

If there was anyone else besides the obamanation as Pres he'd probably sign it. But that's not the case and he must come across to those folks in the administration as in synch with their ideas as much as possible.

He'll veto it and since the senate vote isn't veto proof there's a better than even chance it won't get overridden.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Henry will Veto it. He's been pretty "conservative" on other issues. Like the "right to hunt" that was added to the State's Constitution, etc.

But, even if he does, there's enough votes to pass it without his signature.

I was listening to Elvis Polo's radio show awhile ago while on a break from work. From what I heard, it's good to go. Didn't get to find out all the details, but he was talking how it was optional for permit holders, etc., and mentioned "effective January 1st". So I don't know what the latest little scoop is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom